[il-talk] need help finding technology

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 22 20:41:50 UTC 2016

Kayla,

I can't help but weigh in on your situation after reading several emails by
you and others. Even if your counsellor might help you with textbooks, you
may want to have a scanning program anyway. You could use it to read
handouts, class syllabi and other things. If you have an iPhone or an
android device, the best thing would be the KNFB Reader. It is portable,
very accurate and inexpensive at $100.

If you would rather go with a program that uses a scanner that you would use
on your laptop, I have found Docuscan Plus from System Access to work quite
well. It does a good job with scanning and is especially fast with PDF
documents. It will also read some JPG files. You may scan books with it if
you wish. The cost is around $300. If you need to purchase a scanner, you
should be able to do so for about $75. The other option would be to purchase
an all in one printer which includes a scanner and a copy feature. I havbe
foumd Cannon products to work well with Docuscan. If you are interested in
Docuscan, please contact me off list with your phone number.