[il-talk] need help finding technology

Gregory D. Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Wed Jun 22 20:56:46 UTC 2016

Kayla,

You might also find this information useful.

Students with a documented disability should have an easier time obtaining an audio version of a textbook thanks to laws that require accessibility to all students. Copyright rules can be bent in these circumstances and alliances between colleges and publishers have taken form to help these students obtain textbooks in their preferred format.

Your college is more than likely partnered with Learning Ally or AccessText to ensure students with a disability have easy access to materials. Students who have a documented disability should reach out to their college’s Services for Students with Disabilities office for help in accessing audio textbooks.

Learning Ally, formerly known as Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, is the largest source of recorded textbooks in the United States. There are currently about 150K titles in Learning Ally'sonline catalog, and any title not available can be recorded on request. These files can be downloaded or put onto a CD.

Other Sources for Audio Textbooks

• The Louis Database contains information on over 400,000 titles in accessible formats for those with a disability, including Braille, large print, sound recording and electronic files.

• Project Gutenberg has books in multiple file extensions, with some having already been converted to audio format. Another useful site for free public domain audio books isLibrivox.org.

• If you can get your professor to adopt an open textbook, many titles can easily be made available in audio format.
Also, don't forget you can grab a free audiobook at Amazon.

Source: http://campusgrotto.com/audio-textbooks.html

I hope you find this information useful.

gregg at ricis.com

RICIS, Inc.