[il-talk] UEB & Contracting Braille

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 16:54:03 UTC 2016

An interesting bit of info involving UEB, the new Unified English Braille
code that went into effect at the first of the year:

I checked on buying a Braille book, a novel, for myself from a commercial
source. I wanted it in UEB, and it's not available in UEB from NLS, which
would have been free. I found out that the book I wanted to buy costs 30%
more than a standard Grade 2 version because a book in UEB will be
approximately 30% larger than a standard Grade 2 Braille book.

I could make some editorial comments here, but I won't.

Bob Gardner

Chair, Braille Literacy Committee