[il-talk] chicago minutes draft 2.

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 27 15:33:24 UTC 2016

Please disregard the first draft of the minutes. If after reading the second
draft you have a correction, please let me know.

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MINUTES

Meeting of September 10, 2016

The September 2016 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois Chicago Chapter was called to order by President Debbie Stein at
1:00 PM.

What's Happening: Teresa Meyer is definitely in remission from her ovarian
cancer. Her cataracts were also removed successfully.

Patti Chang is now working at the National Federation of the Blind as the
Director of Outreach. Zachary Dreicer is now living in Berwyn and is
attending his first Chicago Chapter meeting. Pam and Don Gillmore recently
celebrated their 39th wedding anniversary. Gina Falvo is a 5-year cancer
survivor. Howard Wilson now has prostate cancer. He stated that his
prospects for recovery are good. Eileen Truschke reported that Terry Regan
is recovering from unspecified medical issues in a rehabilitation facility.
Ken Borst reported that his diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol are now
controlled. Bruce Paul has just begun training to run a marathon. There were
26 people present at the meeting.

Secretary's report: It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes of the
August meeting. The minutes were approved as presented.

Presidential Reports

State Presidential Report: NFBI President Denise Avant reported on the
following items. Our October Fest will take place on Saturday, September 17,
beginning at 4:00 PM. Those needing ride from the Harlem & Higgins stop
should call Patti at 773-307-6440. At this point, 50 reservations have been
taken. The state convention will occur on October 28-30 at the Chicago
Naperville Marriott Hotel in Naperville. Room rates are $104 per night.
Reservations must be made directly with the hotel by October 7. Anyone
wishing to preregister for the convention must do so by October 14. The fee
for those who preregister is $5. Those who register at convention must pay
$15. Both the parent and student breakfasts are $10. The Saturday luncheon
is $15, and the banquet is $30 per person. Admission for IABS Idol is $5.
The $5 admission will also serve as payment for your first performance.
Resolutions must be sent to Patti Chang by October 14. Her email address is
pattischang at gmail.com. Our National representative this year will be Joe
Ruffalo of New Jersey. If you wish to apply for Washington Seminar, you must
send your application to President Avant by December 1. Her email address is
davant1958 at gmail.com. Our NFBI raffle is now going on. People may buy
chances through December 3. Each chance will cost $5. The drawing will take
place on December 10 at the Chicago Chapter meeting. Prizes are $500 for
first prize, $300 second prize and $200 for the third prize. Chances can be
purchased on line at www.nfbofillinois.org. Finally, there are still some
Instant Raffle chances available. Each chance cost $2. Anyone who purchases
a chance may win $5, $10 or $20.  We were all encouraged to either sign up
or increase our contributions to the PAC plan.

National Presidential Release: NFB President Mark Riccobono reported on the
following items. The Federation will be working with Congress during the
remainder of the year to either introduce legislation or pass bills which
have already been introduced. Perhaps the biggest priority will be to urge
the senate to ratify the Marrakesh treaty. We were all encouraged to
participate by voting in the upcoming elections.  October is Meet the Blind
month. We were encouraged to plan and participate in activities during this
time. NFB hosted the general assembly of the World Blind Union for eight
days beginning on August 19. Dr. Fred Schroeder is now President of the
World Blind Union. Patti Chang introduced herself as the new Director of
Outreach. She can be reached at 410-659-9314 EXT 2422. Ronald Menke and
Lavonia Gardner passed away. Jamie Forbis and Jeromy were married. Also,
Vincent Rick and Sunny Rogers were married in July. Wren Elizabeth Carpenter
was born on August 11. Emeline Young was born in May of 2016. Braden Hartle
was born on August 9 of 2016. The Bungie seminar took place during Labor Day
weekend.

Announcements: President Stein announced that we would not have a meeting in
October. Rather, we will have a read-athon which will occur on the second
Saturday in October. She asked all of us to ask our friends and neighbors
for donations for this event. One may contribute a certain amount per page,
or, a contribution of a fixed amount. The Chicago Chapter Board of Directors
will meet on Thursday, September 15 at 7:00 PM via conference call. The
number is 641-715-3273 with the access code as Chicago, (2442246.) We were
all reminded to please make their fan-out calls. NFBI has both a scholarship
and an internship program. One may intern anytime during the year, provided
they are accepted following the filling out of an application, and he/she
finds an opportunity to volunteer somewhere. NFBI will pay as much as $1,500
for a volunteer experience.

Approval of amended constitution: The proposed version of the constitution
was read by President Stein and Emma Meyer. It was approved unanimously.

Fundraising Committee: David Meyer reported that the Sox fundraiser went
quite well. We took in money for 90 tickets plus an additional $150 donation
for a total of $1,050 profit on this event.  The collection yielded $46.

President Stein explained the Braille is Beautiful activity which takes
place at conventions. Beginning and advanced readers were encouraged to take
part. Debbie went on to announce that she has skits for those wishing to
participate. She also announced that Freedom Link applications are pending
at this time. She went on to describe the Freedom Link program. Finally, the
Illinois Association of Blind Students is taking applications for the
Teaching Excellence award. Anyone may nominate someone for this award.

Old business: Because of their winning of Battle of the Chapters in IABS
Idol last year, the Chicago Chapter was given the task of picking the song
topic for Battle of the Chapters this year. The chapter chose Sports songs
as the topic, and Take me out to the Ballgame as their song to perform.

New Business: The Pace ADA Advisory Committee will meet at Willis Tower on
September 25, beginning at 1:00 PM. There will not be a meeting in November,
due to the close proximity of the state convention. The next meeting will
occur on December 10, with the annual Christmas auction taking place
immediately following the meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:03 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary.