[il-talk] NFB Legislative Happenings

denise avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 06:50:40 UTC 2017

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Access Technology
Affordability Act

The National Federation of the Blind applauded the introduction of the
Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 in both houses of Congress (H.R.
1734 <https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1734>  S. 732
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/732?r=75> ). The
bill was introduced by Representatives David Young (R-IA) and Lucille
Roybal-Allard (D-CA) in the House and by Senators John Boozman (R-AR) and
Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD) in the Senate. The legislation will establish a
per-person individual refundable tax credit to be used over a multi-year
period to offset the cost of access technology for blind people.

Access technology includes items such as text-to-speech screen access
software and electronic Braille displays that blind people use to access
computers, tablets, smart phones, and other devices, as well as digital
content.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"Access technology has enabled many blind people to participate in
educational and employment opportunities, but the high cost of this
technology is still a barrier for too many blind Americans. Furthermore,
different individuals have different skills and requirements, so there can
be no one-size-fits-all technological solution; each blind individual must
have the flexibility to identify and purchase the access technology that
will best meet his or her needs. The National Federation of the Blind
therefore applauds the introduction of this legislation, which represents a
flexible, practical, and cost-effective means of helping the blind to
acquire the technology we need to live the lives we want. We appreciate the
outstanding work of Representatives Young and Roybal-Allard and Senators
Boozman and Cardin, and we urge all of their colleagues to join them in
supporting this initiative and securing its swift passage."

The National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of AIM HIGH Act

The National Federation of the Blind commends Congressman Phil Roe (R-TN)
and Congressman Joe Courtney (D-CT) for introducing the Accessible
Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act of 2017, also known as the
AIM HIGH Act (H.R. 1772
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1772> ) This act
will promote instructional technology and content that are accessible to the
blind and other students with print disabilities.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind has worked for years toward the
introduction of this much-needed legislation, which will give postsecondary
institutions guidance to help them meet their legal obligations to students
with disabilities, and also bring more accessible instructional materials to
the higher education market. Blind students are adversely impacted daily by
educational technologies that artificially limit students because they were
designed without accessibility in mind. As a past member of the Commission
on Accessible Instructional Materials, whose work identified this crucial
need, and a father of three, including two daughters who are blind, I am
pleased to see this goal come to fruition. We applaud Congressman Roe and
Congressman Courtney for their introduction of this legislation and urge
their colleagues to join them in supporting its swift passage."

Denise R. Avant, President

Live the life you want.

For more information about NFBI,

Go to www.nfbofillinois.org.