[il-talk] Inquiring about math tutor

Ayoub Zurikat ayoub.zurikat.nfb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:44:32 UTC 2017

Hello guys, I truly hope this finds you well and in good health.
I want to share a very small snippet of my story and follow that with a question.
I was born and raised in the middle east. for the most part, high school teachers would do whatever they can to eschew   teaching blind students physics, math, or chemistry. Even though I went to an American school that, supposedly, believed in inclusion and equality, teachers would excuse me out of those classes. Consequentially, I am seriously bad at math. I have some basics that I remember from when I was sighted. However, I'm probably at eighth grade level. Currently I am working on my second Masters degree in clinical mental health counseling, but my dream is to pursue a PhD and then teach and practice counseling.
I wonder if teaching math to the blind is any different from teaching math to those who are sighted . I assume it is. So I'm emailing to ask if anyone knows a good math tutor, who is feasible, and Who is  willing to spend a good amount of time with me over the coming year and a half teaching me math, and getting me ready to sit for my GRE exam.
I live in the Wheaton area, I'm very new here so transportation is an issue that is still quite convoluted for me.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, waiting to hear from you.
Blessings