[il-talk] {Spam?} December 11 2016 IABS Minutes

Emma J. Meyer meyeremma13 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:47:43 UTC 2017

Hey all,
attached, and pasted below are the minutes from last month's IABS
meeting.  An agenda for our meeting on Sunday will be sent out
shortly.

 Minutes of:	Illinois Association of Blind Students Board
Meeting Sunday, December 11th, 2016, 7pm Via
teleconference (641-715-3273 code IABS)
  [TO DO LIST:
  	All: to mute, dial *6 ("star six") on the phone keypad.
  	All: contact Amy Bosko if you are interested in mentorship.
  	All: share scholarship info (and about next IABS meeting
featuring Pam Allen talking about scholarship).
  	Anderson: find community centers in Chicagoland for a dance
presentation at seminar.
  	Avant: contact Chang to make hotel arrangements for seminar.
  	Avant: please find out the conference service a contact uses
(as an alternative option).
  	Meyer: contact Julia Chang if she also can be involved in a
dance activity.
  	Meyer: look into keychain and thumbdrive fundraisers.
  	Moore: call stein about seminar flyer.
  	Meyer, Moore, Stein: be ready to fanout call for scholarship
info.	]
  	*7pm: Roll Call of Board present: Emma Meyer, President
Jhaliyah Anderson, Secretary Glenn Moore, Treasurer (taking
minutes this meeting) Debbie Stein Tori Clark Alex Gamino
Aziz Zeidieh
  	Board not present: Adrienne Falconer, First VP Amy Bosko,
Second VP (member ex-officio) Denise Avant (Affilliate
President)
  	Guests Present: Zachary Dreicer Bill Reif
  	ininLAST MONTHS' MINUTES:
  	Moore moves to approve; Avant seconds; motion carries.
  	ininCOMMITTEE UPDATES:
  	ininSPRING SEMINAR COMMITTEE: Meyer: has sent messages to
all surrounding states' student presidents, and received
interest from Angie Castro (Wisconsin).
  	Avant: once the flyer is made, other states' student
presidents will get a clearer idea of what we're doing and
may increase interest.
  	Moore: will work with Stein tomorrow to get the flyer
together.
  	Meyer confirms the seminar agenda was received by all.  We
didn't talk about an activity, last year we had yoga.
  	Stein: we've done kickball.
  	Avant: judo.
  	Meyer: cardio drumming was a major attraction at national.
  	Anderson suggests dance.
  	Moore: at State we did a dance lesson, maybe we can do
something like Zumba.
  	Stein: something current is best.
  	Anderson: will look for community centers in Chicagoland to
ask if they can prepare an activity or offer a lead.
Stein: also, Julia Chang has done dance, and may be able to help.
  	Avant will contact Patti Chang about hotel arrangements.
  	Meyer: April 22nd is the definite date.
  	Avant: are you seeking any guests from National?
  	Meyer: not sure, but we're considering asking for a NABS
rep; particularly from the legislative committee.
  	Avant: one thing we want to figure out is how many hotel
nights to ask for (usually people stay Friday, but wouldn't
likely need Saturday night, so fewer than in the past).
  	ininFUNDRAISING COMMITTEE:
  	Meyer: Bosko and I thought keychains would be a good
fundraising item.
  	Clark: my braille supplier website says they don't have
Braille keychains (though has bags, bookmarks, clothing).
  	Moore: we've sold merchandise before without Braille on it.
  	Meyer: the committee also considered Cubs [world series]
merchandise, or a chili cookoff.
  	Stein: can we combine cubs keychain.
  	Moore: though I'm a cubs fan, I don't know the NFB has any
relationship to the Cubs organization.  This also means we
have to get authorization to use their name, logo etc.  If
we are using the branding for custom made items, this would
differ from the sox ticket fundraiser (since we buy tickets
that are available to sell for nonprofit fundraising).
  	Avant: we'll just need to get authorization from the MLB.
  	Zeidieh suggests we sell USB drives like the ones sold at
State, and include information like software we are
authorized to distribute.  Aziz can communicate with
companies like NVDA, voiceover guides, etc.
  	The idea is positively received.
  	Meyer: NABS' thumb drives had NVDA, NFB Speeches, resumes
samples, student info, training center info, Microsoft
stuff.  Etc.
  	Zeidieh: we can gear to college students.
  	Moore: didn't national also have a USB drive years ago?
  	Avant: Utah sold SD cards
[httpccwwwddnfbgl.org/nfb-library-card-by-nfb-of-utah/]
  	Stein: it contained a lot of history.
  	Moore: since it wasn't national selling it, we can do what
another affiliate did.
  	Stein: let's ensure the content is distinctive.
  	Meyer: another possibility is to merge this with the thumb
drive for spring seminar which attendees could receive with
registration (an incentive to come as they'd otherwise have
to buy it as a fundraiser).
  	ininMENTORING COMMITTEE:
  	Meyer: Bosko has put a message on IL-Talk asking for mentors
and mentees (mentees from 5-12 grade).  Should we reach out
to college students too as mentees? Anderson: we were going
to look at grad schools.  Moore: I don't know that there has
to be a specific age for mentor/mentee.  We could simply
match people with a skill-set, experience, subject of
interest, occupation, etc.  to mentees seeking those
knowledge bases.  Mentorship is a growing trend in business,
and often high level leaders are mentees to people with
other experience in the company or industry.
  	Clark: consider mentor-mentee pairings for guide dog users.
I gave a presentation on guide dogs at last year's seminar,
but there's so much more to cover.
  	Interest is expressed by a number of people for this.
  	Avant: we can remind people about mentorship at Thursday's
State Board meeting.
  	ininMEMBERSHIP:
  	Meyer: In conjunction with NABS state-by-state reachout
plan, Pam Allen will come onto our IABS call in January to
talk about scholarships.  I will forward this to all
students on our list, plus, I'd like you to also forward
this to your contacts.  I can split my contact list to do
fanout calls; who can help?
  	Stein and Moore volunteer to take a portion for fanout
calls.
  	Meyer: we can have the scholarship as a program item at the
beginning of the IABS meeting so those interested
specifically in scholarships can call in at the beginning,
then we'll continue onto the regular board meeting.  NABS'
scholarship call took about 45 minutes.  Our scholarship
program item will be shorter.
  	Clark: should we seek mainly high school students to notify?
  	Moore: any age group can call in.  This reminds me, at the
August State meeting, we'd talked about broadening contacts
for scholarships.  I wanted to bring up an idea for IABS to
get onto schools' social networks-blind students who may not
be active on any blind-specific media may be active on their
schools' social media pages where we might be able to
publicize our programs.
  	Avant: remember TVI's.  Scholarship applicants often say
they found out about us via TVI.
  	Meyer: I asked mine to contact other TVIS' and students of
theirs.
  	Stein: we can contact via our TVI list
  	Avant: consider reaching out to DSS offices.  If you're
already at a college, stop in and let DSS know about
scholarship programs.
  	Moore, Clark, and Anderson say they can.
  	Moore: A couple years ago NABS had a project to get DSS
office contacts throughout the country.  Last year, before
seminar, Julia Chang and I got a number of new IL DSS
contacts (though there are many more to go).  I don't have
my most recent list (on my old computer).
  	Stein will send Moore a current list.
  	ininNEW BUSINESS:
  	Dreicer: I submitted a Title IX[9] complaint to the NIU
Office of Equity Compliance, on behalf of blind students in
the VI program.  My grievance is that in the introductory or
instructor course, blind students are only able to role-play
as instructors (not as students), missing half the content.
  	ininNEXT MEETING:
  	Meyer: next meeting will be January 8, 7pm (same number and
code as atop).
  7:47pm: meeting is adjourned.