[il-talk] Proof of income

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 14 00:06:38 UTC 2017

Dan,

I don't believe your level of income will trigger denial of services. What
can happen however, is that the state can and will make decisions on whether
or not they will pay for or sanction equipment that you might request. As
you and Chris are married, they will ask for household income which would of
course, include Chris's income as well. This is why you need to apply for
SSDI as soon as you stop working. Unfortunately, you cannot do this before
you are terminated, as they would look at the date of your application and
deny you benefits. Once you are on SSDI, the state cannot means test you.
Once you are on SSDI, Chris's income as I understand it, no longer counts.