[il-talk] A Blog about Braille!

Lin H. iwannacu2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 28 00:47:16 UTC 2017

This is proof that learning braille is important!    Linda

            July 4th marks the United States' annual Independence Day. For us here at NBP, that sparks a chance to reflect on braille as a source of independence for many blind people. Precious Perez, a friend of NBP, Berklee College of Music student, and counselor at an NFB training center, wrote a blog post for us about how braille has empowered her to be independent.
            Precious writes, "There are countless reasons why braille is significant. This code is used by myself and many others every single day. Bathrooms, ATMs, elevators: all of these signs have braille and print on them. If I need to make a bank transaction, I do not need someone to tell me where to insert my card or my headphones for audio feedback. I do not need someone to push my floor for me in the elevator, because there’s braille next to each button. I can find a women’s bathroom in any public building, because there is braille on the sign. I am not only capable of locating and identifying things, but I am able to do it without help from anyone else, which would not be possible without braille."

                 NBP is hiring!
                  NBP is looking to hire an individual to work full-time in our Production/Finishing department! The Production Assistant is involved in multiple aspects of production at National Braille Press. Working closely with the teams on the Production floor, this individual is responsible for the maintenance, improvement, and expansion of braille as it relates to the mission of National Braille Press. Read the full job description here!