[il-talk] determining your representatives and locating their contact information

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 16 00:14:18 UTC 2017

Hello,

House Bill 2626, our Parental Rights for the Blind Act, has passed the
House Judiciary Civil Committee, and will now be considered by the full
house. Although committee passage normally bodes well for passage by the
full house, this certainly is not assured in this case where the
Department of Children and Family Services opposes the bill. Each of us
must call or write our respective representative to urge their support
of this important legislation. We must point out that many parents in
custody disputes and sometimes upon the birth of their children are
threatened with termination of custody or limitation of unsupervised
visitation based almost exclusively on the fact that they are blind and
the unwillingness of some courts or social workers to believe that the
blind can safely supervise and interact with them. A similar effort will
need to be undertaken in the Senate when the bill is considered there.

The easiest way to do this is to visit the site elections.state.il.us
and look for the district/official search link. You will find links for
the desktop or the mobile version. The district version is not
accessible for most of us. If you know your nine-digit zip, type it in
the address box, tab past clear, and press enter on the search button.
Alternatively, you can type in your address in the form [street number
and name], [city], and [state]. You will then be taken to a similar page
with a "confirm address" button, which you will press to be taken to the
listing, which will be something like the below for mine. Much of what's
blank on mine would, on the site, be actual links to their web sites,
etc. If you can't get this process to succeed for you, please feel free
to call me at 217-801-2996.

I am told by those who do such work that email is the least effective
form of contact, with snail mail letters being the most effective,
except on the federal level due to the Anthrax attacks of several years
ago. Know the bill number and a little about its substance, and
determine that the person who answers the phone is the one who will
convey your request to the representative. Calling the Springfield
office is your best bet to connect with someone, as some local offices
are rarely staffed.

Cordially,

Bill Reif, State Legislation Committee Co chair

addressfinder
62702-3835

U.S. Congressional District #13

Official: Rodney Davis - Republican