[il-talk] The Battle, but not the War

Wayne & Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Sat May 20 17:44:03 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am happy to report, that it appears that the current battle against
HB3162 has been won, but the war is not over. Ms. Manley is bound and
determined to propose and get passed into law, a bill to kerb "Fake
Service Dogs".

Allow me to clarify a few things.

There is no "Fake Service Dog" problem, there is only a problem of non
disabled humans fraudulently misrepresenting their untrained, and
undersocialized pets as Service Dogs.

Two criteria need to exist for a dog, on in some rare cases, Miniature
Horses, to be Service Animals.

1 The Owner is disabled

2.  The dog, or miniature horse is individually trained in work, or
task(s) that directly mitigate their owner's disability. Therefore, a
non-disabled person, so fraudulently misrepresenting their pet as a
Service Animal is, fraudulently, claiming to be disabled and claiming
rights and protections not due them.

To forestall ms. manley, a group has been formed to draft a bill that
will, hopefully, protect Service Animal Owners, ALL of them, whether the
Service Animal Owner chooses to go through a programme, or to Owner
Train their Service Dog. As well as kerb pets being fraudulently
misrepresented by their non-disabled owners as legitimate service
Animals. This group, a coalition of Service Dog Owners (some of which
are Owner Trainers), professional trainers, and the owner of a small
Service Dog training programme here in Illinois. I am in that group
representing myself as a Service Animal Owner, and Owner Trainer.

As our model, we are using the stature from Florida. We are diligently
reviewing the statue, and slightly tweaking it, to suit local Illinois
conditions. The aim is that using the Florida statue will bring Illinois
Service Animal Law more in line with the ADA, and offer a way to kerb
those non-disabled humans from fraudulently misrepresenting their pets
as service Animals....

If President Avant wishes, I will provide periodic reports to the group.

Yours, Very Sincerely And Respectfully,

Wayne M. Scace

---