[il-talk] Chicago minutes draft 2.

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 10 16:40:45 UTC 2017

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MINUTES

MEETING OF SEPTEMBER 9, 2017

President Steve Hastalis called the meeting to order at 1:00 P.M. The
meeting began with a recitation of the NFB Pledge. Steve then read the one
minute message.

What is Happening

Steve Hastalis will be having surgery to remove prostate cancer. Denise
Avant is now a member of the National Board. She retired from the Cook
County Public Defenders Office on August 31. Joey Green is at his first
Chapter meeting. Zachary Dreicer is looking for a host family for the coming
year. He will graduate from college in September. Mary Grunwald's stamina is
continuing to improve. The initial count revealed that 22 members were
present.

Program

Jemal Powell and Steve Hastalis presented a program on tips and tricks which
are useful when traveling in Chicago. Topics discussed were how to find an
address. Even numbered addresses are on either the North or West side of the
street. Odd numbered addresses are located on either the South or East side.
We then discussed the route to the Changs house where our October fest will
occur. President Hastalis mentioned at the close of the program that Jemal
is the chairman of the state transportation committee and he is the
vice-chair. We were invited to contact them for any assistance on
transportation matters.

State Presidential Report

Denise Avant, state President reported on the following items. The state
convention will occur on October 27-29 at the Chicago Naperville Marriott
Hotel in Naperville. National President Mark Riccobono will be the national
representative. Presenters include Sharon Ruda from the Illinois State
Library, Martin Wilde, an audio describer of plays, Janet Sczlic from the
Chicago Lighthouse, and Paul Rink, who operates the Free Legal clinic at the
Lighthouse. One must call the hotel to make reservations. Room rates are
$104 nightly, regardless of the number of occupants. Reservations must be
made by October 6. One may register online through October 13. October 13 is
also the deadline to submit requests for special meals as well as
resolutions. The above mentioned items should be submitted to Patti Chang.
Her email address is pattischang at gmail.com. Anyone wishing to go to
Washington Seminar will need to have their application into Denise by
December 1. Please send to davant1958 at gmail.com. Everyone was encouraged to
sign to our list serves. They can be found at www.nfbnet.org. There is one
for students and one for the affiliate. Bob Gardner will be contacting
members to schedule appointments with Congressmen to discuss our issues. The
film Do you Dream in Color will be shown on Friday, October 6 at the Chicago
Cultural Center. Time of the event is 6:30 P.M. We need to do all that we
can to promote this event.

We now have 26 present.

National Presidential Release

National President Mark Riccobono reported on the following items.
Regulations for the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act have been enacted.
This enactment occurred on September 5. If one wishes to donate for the
purpose of hurricane relief in Texas, please send donations to the NFB of
Texas. Gift cards to major retailers are most welcome. Target, Walmart,
Amazon.com and Bed Bath and Beyond were specifically mentioned. Cards for
Uber and Lift are also welcome. One may send a check to the NFB of Texas at
1600 East Highway 6 Suite 215, Alvin Texas 77511-2595. You may call
President Norma Crosby at 281-968-7733 or via email at ncrosby at nfbtx.org.
Vera Kemp Brooks passed away in July. Tom Lye who was responsible for
training UPS volunteers for convention also passed away. Josephine deWall
was born on August 20.

Denise Avant mentioned that Illinois will be featured in the Recipes column
in the next few months. She is requesting that we send her recipes that she
will forward to Gary Wunder for this column. Secretaries' Report. The
minutes were approved with the following correction. Meet in Meet the blind
month was spelled meat rather than meet.

We now have a balance of $5,148.09.

There was no old business. In new business, Jemal mentioned that there will
be significant changes on the Metra Electric line from Chicago to University
Park beginning on September 11. Ken Staley mentioned that he heard from the
Chicago Bulls who asked him if we might schedule a fundraiser with them.
Tickets can be had for $30 each. He had no information on pricing for
particular games.

The next board meeting will occur on Monday, November 6 at 7:00 P>M> via
teleconference. Please call 641-715-3273 and use the access code "Chicago"
(2442246.)

The meeting adjourned at 2:56 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine