[il-talk] Latest entries on the "Why I Am A Federationist" page

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 23:16:22 UTC 2017

Greetings to all,

Sorry for the long wait since the last entries were posted on the “Why I Am
A Federationist” page. I was busy with other projects and attending the
Drupal training seminar at the Jernigan Institute.

Here are the latest entries:

Miranda Kilby

I am a Federationist, because the national Federation of the blind, believes
in equality, opportunity, and security for the blind.

Danielle Trevino

Because nobody treats me like I’m broken or in need of saving or requiring a
cure. Because in the presence of my Federation family, I am seen for me and
not my disability. Because we are strengthening the up-and-coming generation
of blind people to be fearless and proud. Because when any of us need
back-up, we can count on an army of thousands. Because I have forged bonds
with people who are my support when I am weak and need to cry and my
cheering section when I am celebrating a triumph. Because we are making our
presence known, one cane tap (or tail wag) at a time. Because I am living
the life I want. A life full of adventure, hope, love, dreams,
opportunities, forward motion, and so, so many more reasons to be thankful.

Marci Carpenter

Because people like Jamie and the National Federation of the Blind are
creating opportunities for blind children to learn science that I never had…
That’s why I’m a Federationist.

John Bailey

I am a federationist because the National Federation of the Blind actually
gets things done.

Mindy Davis Lavern

I was asked to write a post about why I chose to be a member of the National
Federation of the Blind and here it is:

My first-born son was 4 months old when he was diagnosed with Optic Nerve
Hypoplasia. I was new to motherhood, and even less experienced with
blindness. There was an unsettling fear in my heart and mind about what the
future would hold for him, and the experiences he would miss out on. It was
our Early Steps therapist, Mrs. Sandy Dunham, who first introduced us to NFB
of Louisiana, and I thank God she did. The NFB has taught me not to be
afraid, a productive and happy future is possible. Live the Life You Want,
is their slogan. Fear is what cripples us from reaching our true potential.
The blind are no different from the rest of the world, with ambition and an
appropriate education, you can become anything/anyone you desire. My son’s
eyes may not work well, but he is intelligent, creative, unique, and has a
beautiful heart. Strider, you are the reason I am a Federationist!

Amy Plumlee

People often ask me why I belong to the NFB and my response to that is …
The NFB is like a second family to me. There are members who I felt I have
known my whole life without even knowing them yet. Because I can call one of
them if I am having a assistive tech issue and they can walk me through it.
Because I believe in what the message says you can live the life you want. I
think that this organization is a life changer for so many and for many more
in the future.

To view all of the entries, please visit
www.nfbofillinois.org/why-i-am-a-federationist
<http://www.nfbofillinois.org/why-i-am-a-federationist> . If you want to
have your entry considered for this page, please send your submission to
Patti Chang at pchang at nfb.org <mailto:pchang at nfb.org> . You do not have to
reside in Illinois in order for your submission to be considered because the
page has entries from members throughout the national organization.

Sincerely,

‏‏Brian A. Mackey

Brian A. Mackey

Owner, Mackey Enterprises, LLC

Treasurer & Webmaster, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

Webmaster, National Federation of the Blind of Delaware & Illinois

Member, National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Blind Users Innovating &
Leading Design (BUILD) Team

609-953-6988

 <mailto:Bmackey88 at gmail.com> Bmackey88 at gmail.com

 <http://www.mackeyenterprisesllc.com> www.mackeyenterprisesllc.com

“Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make
those dreams come true”

      -Vince Papale