[il-talk] Federal Legislation alert

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:10:29 UTC 2018

Greetings federationists,

Below is a section of an e-mail from our Government Affairs department. Please act on this by contacting your Senator and/or member of Congress. Senators Duckworth and Durbin are not on the list of co-sponsors for S 2559, Marrakesh Implement Act or S 732, Access Technology Affordability Act.

Our Illinois members who have co-sponsored HR 1734, Access Technology Affordability Act are as follow;

Mike Quigley
Robyn Kelly
Jan Schakowsky
Rodney Davis
Danny K Davis
Luis Gutierres
Bill Foster
Bobby Rush

You can contact your senator or representative by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number is (202) 224-3121. If you email your senators or representative, please copy me at JPare at nfb.org .

It is critical that we move on this quickly, so please strive to make your calls and send your emails as soon as possible.

I have also included a short sample ask that could be used for the items above:

“My name is [name] and I am a constituent of Senator [name]. I am calling to encourage the Senator to cosponsor the Marrakesh Implementation Act (S. 2559). The Marrakesh Implementation Act would expand reading options for millions of blind and other Americans with print disabilities. I also ask that the Senator/Representative cosponsor S. 732/H.R. 1734, the Access Technology Affordability Act. This bill will increase opportunities for blind Americans to get the access technology they need to secure education and employment.

Thank you for your support of blind Americans.

Sincerely,
[Your Name]”
Le’ts go build the National Federation of the Blind

Marilyn