[il-talk] BELL Comm notes 6/19/18

Patti Chang pattischang at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:37:38 UTC 2018

Thanks to Debbie for a nice set of notes. We appreciate your time and all that you do.

BELL Committee Notes

June 19, 2018 7:00 pm.

Members in attendance: Patti Chang, Brooklyn Geers, Amy Lund, Lauren Mehalek, Bill Reif, Kaitlyn Ryan, Debbie Stein, Chaquita Vinson, Lewis Wood

Sarah Luna

Patti Chang announced that we just got a $500 check from the Boone Family Foundation. She expressed her appreciation for Cathy Randall's great work in raising funds.

Amy and Chaquita reported on the recruitment of volunteers. Chaquita has heard positively from Sara Luna, Amy Bosko, and Debbie Stein. For Chicago BELL, Sara will volunteer all days except the last two. Chaquita will volunteer all classroom days. Debbie will volunteer on trip days both weeks. Janna Stein will volunteer for trip days during the second week. Lauren has recruited Peter Tucic for the second Thursday. Patti said that Katie Leinum and Kaitlyn Ryan will be staying with her and volunteering both weeks. She will send Katie's contact information to Chaquita. Emma Meyer is a possibility for Chicago. We need to be sure which days Amy Bosko is available. Mary Lou Grunwald is a possibility. Patti will reach out to Rebecca Leon. If we need more volunteers we can ask Denise Avant. Lauren will recruit one O&M from her program. Chaquita will put out additional announcements at need  about our need for volunteers on IL-Talk and relay the responses to Amy. We have ten children signed up for Chicago BELL.

For Springfield volunteers we have Katie Leinum and Bill Reif. Perhaps Emma Meyer and/or Amy Bosko can volunteer if we provide them with a hotel room. Sara Luna and Chaquita Vinson are also possibilities. They will both check and confirm whether they can volunteer.

Patti explained that the people who travel to Springfield to volunteer will be provided with a hotel room and food allowance from July 29 through August 3. Considering that we have twelve families registered for the program and a number of out-of-town volunteers, Amy will reserve another room. Amy explained the differences between the Chicago and Springfield programs. Springfield involves a lot more interaction with parents, and the parents love talking to blind students.

We need to put all of the volunteers' information into a spreadsheet for the national office so they can run background checks. These checks are in addition to the checks run by the Chicago Lighthouse for Chicago BELL volunteers. Amy will teach Chaquita to create a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet should be in Excel rather than Google Docs.

Amy is still trying to work out a kayakking field trip. She has not been getting any response after several phone calls and emails. A trip to the beach will be the backup plan. Judo is all lined up, thanks to Sara's help.

Amy emailed all of the Chicago families yesterday with drop-off and pick-up instructions and information about clothing and food. She mentioned the Facebook group that will allow parents to connect. She also emailed the Springfie'ld families about hotel arrangements and asked them to confirm whether they need a room.

Amy is leaning toward roller-skating for a Springfield activity. There will be a Friday picnic with pizza.

Patti pointed out that we must build in a way to get appreciation letters from the parents. Amy told the Springfield parents that they must include a letter when they submit their receipts for reimbursement. They won't all be like the letter from Angela Raske last year, but we need them all!

One Springfield family already is planning to attend convention. At convention the families will have the opportunity to meet the vendors, because this is a joint convention. We will provide one room per family, plus meals and registration. We don't generally cover travel to and from convention, but can think about it on a case-by-case basis.

We don't need to hold another formal meeting. We can communicate among ourselves as necessary.

Notes submitted by Debbie Stein

Patti Chang Esq.

Treasurer

(773) 307-6440

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/> www.nfbofillinois.org

Find us on twitter: “NFBI”

Search for “National Federation of the Blind of Illinois” on facebook.