[il-talk] At Large chapter minutes-November

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 19:14:52 UTC 2018

At Large Chapter Minutes

 November 4, 2018

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM. Those present included
Debbie Stein, Libby Huston, Marilyn Green, Bill Reif, Linda Hendel,
Charlene Elder, Louis Wood, Danny Mandrell, Dave Meyer, Yvonne
Agyarko,

Linda Hendel had a couple of corrections, the word was convention
instead of conference, Bill's name is Reif instead of Rees. David
moved to approve and Linda Hendel seconded. Dave had some discussion.
Dave's name was never listed as part of the group. This will be
corrected. The motion carried.

Oswaldo Cruz joined us.  Debbie Stein gave our state  report. Some of
the guests included were Ramona Walhoff and Rami Rabby who came from
Israel. Steve Hastalis is a charter member. We had our convention in
conjunction with the Illinois Blind Vendors, the Business Entouprise
Program For the Blind. The student luncheon and vendors luncheon was
memorable. We had 2 scholarship winners Gretchen Nordhausen and Bex
Leon who is a Master's degree student. Leslie Hamric joined the
meeting.

The next big event will be Washington Seminar. The applications for
Washington Seminar will be posted soon. Applications are due by
December 1.
Our state scholarship applications will be posted  soon with a March
31, 2019 deadline. Elections were held for the Nfbi BOARD, Denise
Avant, President,  Debbie Stein, First Vice President, Marilyn Green
Second Vice-Prsident, Dave Meyer is Secretary, Patti Chang is
Treasurer, Board memers are: Steve Hastalis, Mary Grunwald, Bill Reif,
Adrienne Falconer, Cathy Randall and Pat Olson.

We listened to the Presidential Release for October, 2018. This
release is 476. It is Meet The Blind Month. President Riccobono
congratulated all members on the work which was done to get the
Marrakesh Treaty through the House Of Representatives. It was passed
by unanimous consent. It will go to the desk of the President for
signature. We continue to be a watchdog. Last Wednesday, we filed a
lawsuit against the Ability One Commission when it named the American
Foundation For the Blind as a central non-profit without our
involvement. No public notice was given, National Industries For the
Blind was not contacted. We feel this is a slap in the face for every
other group of blind people. It offends existing agencies as well. We
believe  this action is against the law. That is why we have filed
this lawsuit. We have been working with NIB to raise standards. NIB
has supported our TIME Act. We are quite certain that when it comes to
discussion of jobs, the courts will not permit this negative action
from continuing.

Our local chapter meetings should include our pledge as a part of the
meeting. We are encouraged to memorize the pledge and to use it.

We have supported Braille Literacy. The Braille Readers Are Leaders
Contest is continuing as a national program. The American Action Fund
For Blind Children And Adults as well as national office are involved
in this program. An affiliate can register and participate in the
contest. A donation is given toward the contest. There are five
different age groups. The reading period is from December 1, to
January 19, 2019. To find more info go to
wwwddnfbofilinoissnationwide-Braille-contest.  $100.00 is paid by the
affiliate, this will help with administering the contest. Nfbi urges
that you register before December 15. This contest starts December 1.
If you have questions, send email to pattischang at gmail.com.  He thanks
our affiliate for its help with this program.

We partnered with the Baltimore Orioles to be the first pro team to
put Braille on their jerseys. This was September 18 to honor the forty
years since Nfb has had our headquarters in Baltimore. Mark Riccobono
threw out the first pitch of the game. Here is the first pitch called
by Jim Hunter. We are going to reach out to all other ball clubs as
well.

The first ten chapters who are supporting PAC were acknowledged. More
chapters were identified this month. More members joined the Dream
Makers Circle. Patti Chang can help people join. Connie Schu, Erie
Penn. Jack and Pat Munson, New Mexico. Delores Smith in Alabama passed
away July 31. Sharon Gold passed away on Septemer 10, 2018. She was
born on November 5, 1940 11 days before the founding of the
Federation. She had been President of the California affiliate.

We will be celebrating White Cane Awareness Day on October 15. We now
have 10 years completed for the Free White Cane Program.

The Nfb of Massachusetts will be coming to the National Center for a
visit. There also will be a tactile graphics seminar.

Jemal Powell joined us.

The program is How To search and Contact Your Legislators. Marilyn
would like to see more at large members get more involved with
programs throughout the state. Dave encouraged people to apply for
Washington Seminar. It is on the website and must be sent to Denise
davanteainen"@gmail.com If you are planning to be an at large member,
give contact information so that you can be contacted for assisting
with legislation. ilgaddgov is the website to find this information.
It is helpful if you know your nine-digit zip code. This will take you
down to the precinct level. We are encouraged to call or write our
legislator. Sometimes templates are sent to make letter writing
easier. You can modify these for your own response. Please contact
your legislators when requested.

Marilyn's cell is (312) 343-8396
email marilynvgreengmail.com
%dave Meyer landline (708) 309-1767
datemeyer at sbcglo.net Bill Reif
cell (217) 801-2996
billreif at ameritechsionet

There was no old or new business.

Our next meeting will be December 2. Danny will preside at our meeting
next month.
Bill moved to adjourn, Dave Meyer seconded. Motion carried.
The meeting adjourned at 8:52 PM.

Respect;bbly Submitted,

Charlene Elder,
Secretary-Treasurer