[il-talk] At Large chapter minutes-September

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:33:55 UTC 2018

At Large Chapter Minutes
September 2, 2018

Those present included President Marilyn Green, David Meyer, Wayne Scace, Linda Hendle, Charlene Elder,
Ryan Wilms, Lewis Wood, Yvonne Agyargo, Leslie Hamric, Danny Mandrell,  Denise Avant.

The motion was made and seconded that the minutes be accepted for August, 2018. The minutes were approved. Denise joined us.

We are encouraged to make our reservations as soon as possible. Hotel registration deadline is October 5. Rates are $99.00 per night. Sheraton Chicago O'Hare 6501 North Manheim Rd, Rosemont, Il local (847) 699-6300. Resolutions are due on October 12. Chair is Steve Hastalis. Contact him if you have a resolution email steve_hastalisgmail_com. Registration is $5.00. FORM is on website. Patti will assist with registration. Dave Meyer also volunteered 708-6066091. If you need to download and send form send to Patti Chang at 6919 West BerWyn Chi. Il 60657. If you register after October 12, the fee is $20.00. The breakfasts are $10.00 apiece. The lunch will be a vendor and student parent lunch. Cost is $20.00. The banquet meal is $30.00. If you need special requests, let Patti know by October 21. pattischanggmail.com. Iabs idol is $5.00 for first performance, thereafter, the cost is $5.00 per additional performance. Adrienne Falconer is the contact afalcbbgmail.com. Dates for convention are October 26 27 and 28. Resolutions will open, then general sessions, then scholarship dinner as well as at large dinner, iabs idol, etc. The convention bulletins are being proofed by Patti. Jemal joined us. If you pre-register before October 12 the cost is $5.00 if after then, the cost is $20.00. Dave's number is 708 7066791.

We will not have Octoberfest this year because of lack of response. We will reconsider for next year. Leslie is willing to help with applications online for convention. (847) 636-1662.

Bill Reif joined us as well as Melody Osborne.

This is Release 4744 President Riccobono returned from the American Printing House For the Blind. The date was August 3, but it was released on August 7. The e q program was being closed as well as Maryland's first week of the  Bell Program. Todd Lively joined us. We had the anniversary of the Americans With Disabilities Act. We participated in the Annual Conference of the Aer from July 26-28, which was an AER strike. We wanted to let professionals know that we will collaborate with them but we are 100 per cent against the idea of professionals proping up programs which do not have input from blind people. We invited Aer to have a meeting about working together, but they did not respond to our request. The January Braille Monitor showcases this. We again invited these professionals in July. We urged Aer to stop building walls between us and we wanted bridges. We were very well received there at AER. Brent Batron offered a resolution for cooperation. He was the president of the Colorado Nfb chapter. His resolution was ambushed by a few people and a substitute was offered and it was watered down. We can feel good that our work was acknowledged. Many members were not happy about the subsequent resolution and the way things were handled. This was a victory for our organization. There will be a folow-up in the Braille Monitor. On July 26 the Ability One program made an announcement without public notice or discussion they announced a new nonprofit. They named the American Foundation For the Blind as the central nonprofit. A letter was then sent to the Ability 1 program asking questions and a Freedom Of Information Act Petition was filed. We have been working closely with NIB National Industries For the Blind and have been having positive discussions. If the Ability One Commission expects steps to be taken, they haven't been in touch with us. This issue will be ongoing.

We continue to seek talent for people working at the National Federation Of the Blind. We are looking for people in all areas. These positions are posted online. You are welcome to send in a generic interest letter. If you are interested in being considered, contact the National Federation Of the Blind.   The Nfb is partnering with Rice Krispy Treats to send love notes to blind students. %presidentnfb_org.

These notes are in Braille stickers and re-recordable audible boxes. The stickers are heart shaped to match the aspropriate space on the wrasper such as Y'vence got This and Love You Lots. The box holds a treat and when opened plays a 10 second pre recorded message. These messages can be re-recrded over a thousand times. A welcome letter will also be sent. A link to our website will also be included. Check out the website to order the love notes. Website ricekrispys_com/lovenotes.

Angel Cruz the treasurer of Puerto Rico passed away on July 20.

Battle Of the Chapters for IABS

Dave Meyer suggested Love Songs. We had a run off between love songs and motivational songs, love songs won.
Leslie Hamric will be hosting the at large dinner for $10.00. during the state convention on Friday  evening.

I stated that I would be at a 50th class reunion in October. Yvonne decided to take the position of Secretary for October.

Wayne stated that his dog is in the process of retiring. He will be raising and training a new puppy. Louis moved to adjourn, Bill seconded the Motion Motion approved. The meeting adjourned at 8:27 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Charlene Elder,
Secretary-Treasurer