[il-talk] chicago minutes january 2019

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Wed Feb 6 13:00:43 UTC 2019

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MEETING

Meeting of January 12, 2019

President Steve Hastalis called the meeting to order at 1:06 P.M.

Program: Jemal Powell introduced our guest speaker who was Karen Tamley
from the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities. Ms.
Tamley talked a bit about when the department was created and the
purposes served through it. The department deals in four key areas;
providing direct services to disabled residents, educating people on
abilities of those with disabilities, assisting service providers to
insure that their programs and services are accessible to people with
disabilities and finally, creating and implementing policies and
initiatives for people with disabilities. An example of an issue
affecting the blind is the installation of Audio Pedestrian Signals.
The city plans to install 50 of these devices in the coming months.
Other examples include working with the paratransit program under Pace
to improve the quality of service. Finally, the Mayor’s Office for
people with Disabilities wishes to establish and maintain communication
with groups such as the Chicago Chapter of NFB. She asked that we
provide her with copies of complaints that blind customers have with
ride sharing services in Chicago. There is also a committee which works
on improving accessibility in Chicago airports.  Ms. Tamley took
several questions and comments concerning programs and services
sponsored by the Mayor’s Office for people with Disabilities.

Secretary’s Report: It was moved and seconded to approve minutes for
the December 2018 meeting. The motion carried.

What’s Happening: Roberta Glickman has now moved to Friedman Place.
There were 24 members present.

Presidential Reports: Due to technical difficulties, there was no
National Presidential Release. State Presidential Report: Denise avant
reported on the following items. The National convention will take
place July 7-12 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Los Vegas. Reservations
are now being taken for this event. Call the Mandalay Bay at
877-632-9001. 002One may register online from March 1 through May 31.
Everyone is encouraged to register online if possible, as both
registration and the banquet tickets are cheaper than they would be if
one registers at the convention. If you need financial assistance to
attend, there are two ways to apply. One is through the Chappell Dennis
fund. The application is on our website. It must be completed and into
Denise by May 1. The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship fund is a
national program for convention assistance. Though priority is given to
first timers, one may apply who has gone to multiple conventions. You
must write a letter to Denise stating how the convention might benefit
you and stating the ways you are involved in your local chapter. She
must receive these letters by March 31, so that she may have time to
submit a support letter. Our student Seminar will take place at the
Holiday Inn O’Hare, March 15 through 17. Cost of registration is $70.
Room rates are $109 per night. This fee includes a complimentary
breakfast. The Braille Readers are Leaders contest is currently
happening. Students in Kindergarten through Grade 12 read as many pages
as they can during the contest period. The contest began on December 1,
2018 and will conclude January 19, 2019. First, second and third prizes
will be awarded for each of several age groups. All students will
receive a bag of supplies from us who enter the contest. Applications
are now being taken for both State and National scholarships. The
National scholarship application can be found by going to
www.nfb.com/scholarships. State applications are on the NFB of Illinois
website. The deadline to apply for both scholarships is March 31, 2019.
We heard from John Gordon of the Bureau of Blind Services regarding the
merging of our services with other disability groups. There will be no
merger at this time. President Avant mentioned that this probably would
not have happened had it not been for the efforts put forth by the
National Federation of the Blind of Illinois, the Illinois Council of
the Blind and the Blind Services Planning Council.

Washington Seminar: Marilyn Green reported that we would have ten
people representing us in Washington, five of whom are with the Chicago
Chapter. They are Steve Hastalis, Marilyn Green, David Meyer, Patti
Chang and Bex Leon. We have three issues to advocate for this year. The
Disability Employment Act, the Access Technology Affordability Act and
the Greater Accessibility through Independence in Non-visual Technology
Act. Marilyn went on to summarize these initiatives. Fact sheets are on
the NFB website, NFB-NewsLine and possibly the NFB of Illinois website.

President Hastalis reminded all of us that January is the date that
dues payments are due. Anyone wishing to pay dues should give their
money to Marco.

Treasurers Report: Marco Giannotti gave the fourth quarter treasurers
report. We had a balance on October 1 of $5,204.18. Income for the
quarter was $2,277. Expenses were $2,977. $4,511.02. It was moved and
seconded to approve the report. The motion carried.

New Business; The next CTA ADA Advisory Committee meeting will be held
at CTA Headquarters on Tuesday, January 15 from 1:30-4:00 P.M. David
Meyer went over logistics for Games Night. Jemal Powell announced that
the next Pace ADA Advisory Committee is scheduled for Tuesday, January
22 from 1:00-3:00 P.M. It is at Pace headquarters in Arlington Heights.
The Pace Chicago ADA Transit Committee will meet on January 28 from
12:30-3:00 in Willis Tower. The next Metra ADA Advisory Committee
meeting will take place on Tuesday, February 5 at 547 West Jackson in
Chicago from 2:00 to 4:00 P.M.\

The meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary.