[il-talk] chicago minutes february 2019

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Tue Feb 19 13:44:29 UTC 2019

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER

MEETING OF FEBRUARY 9, 2019

President Steve Hastalis called the meeting to order at 1:01 P.M.

The meeting began with President Hastalis leading us in the NFB pledge
and the one minute message.

Introductions: David Meyer mentioned that Pam Gillmore is continuing to
recuperate from her illness. Patti Chang thanked everyone for their
condolences on the loss of her father. Ken Borst will be interviewing
Marilyn Green on February 26 for the Adaptive Chicago production,
Voices of the Disabled. There were 20 members present.

Program: Jemal Powell introduced Marilyn Green, Federal Legislation
coordinator who gave a program on the recently completed Washington
Seminar. Marilyn said that we were able to meet with all 18
representatives and 2 senators over a two day period. Our issues were
received well by the Illinois congressional delegation. Our three
issues were the Access Technology Act, the Greater Access to
Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (Gain act) and the
Disability Employment Act. The Illinois delegation expressed strong
interest in the Access Technology Affordability Act, as many of them
had cosponsored this legislation in the previous congressional session.
The Access Technology Affordability Act will permit anyone seeking to
buy an item of technology a $2,000 refundable tax credit over three
years. This would permit blind people to buy the items of technology
they want, when they want them. The “Gain” act will set minimum
accessibility standards for home appliances, medical devices and
exercise equipment. Standards for appliances and exercise equipment
will be developed by the Access board and standards for medical
equipment will be developed by the Food and Drug Administration. The
bill would call for standards to be established over a three-year
period and implemented over an additional three years. The Disability
Employment act will bring employment opportunities into the 21st
century. Among other things, it will expand employment opportunities in
the Randolph Shepherd Program, eliminate Section 14C of the Fair Labor
Standards Act and increase meaningful employment opportunities for
blind people. The Transformation to Competitive Employment Act (HR873)
has been introduced in the House. It has also been introduced in the
senate. This bill would eliminate section 14C of the Fair Labor
Standards Act. It is very similar in scope to the “Time” act that was
introduced in the previous congressional session. Please call or e-mail
your senators and representatives and ask that they cosponsor this
legislation. The Senate version of this bill is S260. Denise urged that
it is important that ¬all of us e-mail or call our officials about this
legislation. Marilyn stressed that both Congressman Quigley and Danny
Davis have a lot of constituents in our chapter. Your action or lack of
it could make the difference. Dave gave the capital switchboard number.
It is 202-225-3121.

Presidential Reports

National Presidential Release: NFB President Mark Riccobono reported on
the following items. The Washington Seminar was filled with exciting
events, including the Great Gathering In, training on our issues,
appointments on the hill and the Congressional Reception. During the
great Gathering In meeting, Scott LaBarre called to let us know that
earlier in the day, President Trump signed the instrument of
ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty. The Congressional Reception
featured several congressmen and staffers. It was announced that the
Transformation to Competitive Employment Act will be introduced into
Congress on the following day. This bill was introduced as S260 in the
senate on January 29 and in the House as HR836 on January 30. We now
have a new website. We are all encouraged to take a look at it and
familiarize ourselves with it. We now have a new flyer which features
all of the summer programs sponsored by the National Federation of the
Blind. These include programs at the main headquarters, our training
centers in Louisiana, Colorado and Minnesota, and other training
programs of the Federation held throughout the country. We are invited
to distribute this flyer far and wide. The flyer can be found at
www.nfb.org/summer. We are looking for a limited number of folks to
test our Hoppy Trust portal. The Hoppy Trust offers more than 13
million books from various libraries throughout the world. These books
are mostly found in University libraries. Testing of this portal will
begin sometime in February. Those interested in testing should send an
email to jerniganinstitute at nfb.org. President Riccobono announced new
members of the Dream Makers Circle as well as local chapters who
support the Federation through the Preauthorized Contribution Plan.
Bryce Samuelson of Minnesota and Brad Hodges of West Virginia recently
passed away. Please keep Bryce and Brad in your thoughts and prayers.
Gabriel Silva Olivera was born on January 30. Cashia Nicole Sheehan was
born on January 29. President Hastalis also announced that Roberta
Glickman’s brother Arnold recently passed away. Patti announced the
passing of Rachel Olivero. This was a very sudden passing which nobody
expected to happen. She had checked herself into the hospital over a
persisting cough. Patti mentioned that Rachel’s passing is a tremendous
loss within our organization. She also asked that we keep Rachel’s
partner, Karen Anderson, President Riccobono and the rest of her family
in our prayers. You can make a donation in memory of Rachel. Please
send to Outreach, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells, and
Baltimore, MD 21230. One may also donate online at nfb.org/donate.

State Presidential Report: Denise Avant, state President reported on
the following items. The National convention will take place July 7-12
at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Los Vegas. You may reserve a room by
calling 877-632-9001. Room rates for the convention are $99 regardless
of the number of people in the room. One may preregister for the
convention beginning March 1. Preregistration extends through May 31.
Go to www.nfb.org/convention to preregister. If you need financial
assistance, there are two ways to get it. The first is through the
Chappel Dennis fund. The application may be downloaded from the NFB of
Illinois website. Denise must receive your application by May 1. Please
send your completed application to davant1958 at gmail.com. You may also
apply for a Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship. You will need to write a
letter stating the NFB chapter you are in as well as contributions you
have made to the Federation. Additionally, you should state what you
wish to gain by attending the convention. Please send this letter to
Denise by March 31 at the address mentioned above. Applications are now
being taken for both state and national scholarships. The deadline for
both programs is March 31. Please find the National application at
www.nfb.org/scholarships. State scholarship applications can be found
at www.nfbofillinois.org. Our Midwest student seminar will occur at the
Holiday Inn O’Hare, March 15-17. This seminar is open to students 14
years of age and up. Please let any student you know about this
opportunity. The keynote speaker will be Maurice Paret. Room rates are
$109 per night. Please register by February 15. Registration is $70 per
person. This fee will include all meals on Saturday and Sunday
breakfast. Our next state board meeting will occur at 7:00 P.M. on
February 24. Please call 641-715-3273 and use the access code 6324. We
have hired a part-time administrative assistant. Her name is Amber McKey.

Chapter Presidential Report: President Hastalis mentioned a number of
successful activities undertaken by the Chicago Chapter during the
previous year. We continued to have successful fundraisers including
our Beggars Pizza event, Sox fundraiser, read-a-thon and Christmas
auction. These fundraisers have provided money to assist chapter
members going to Washington Seminar. Additionally, we were able to give
$1,000 to the state as our contribution for 15 for funds. Our summer
picnic was more successful than any we have had. We had 36 people
attend including several from the Illinois Council of the Blind. We
have had programs conducted by members of our chapter as well as
members from the community at large. Such topics as how to travel
effectively in airports, health insurance, getting around the city and
the roll of the Mayor’s Office for people with Disabilities works with
and for us were covered. President Hastalis went on to say that he
would not stand for reelection in April. He will continue to stay
involved in an administrative capacity in the chapter. Patti thanked
President Hastalis for his years of service as Chicago Chapter President.

President Hastalis was diagnosed with a couple of hernias. He is
scheduled for surgery on March 11. He asked for our prayers during this time.

Committee Reports: We had a fundraising committee meeting on February
7. It will continue following the chapter meeting. Dave reported that
we are looking into doing a possible fundraiser at a place called the
Paniq room. Before we do it however, several of us will plan to go
through the activity ourselves to see how accessible it is for us. The
Paniq room is a place where a group goes into a room and clews are
presented in order to help participants get out. We are considering a
bowling fundraiser and we will be discussing whether or not to keep our
existing fundraising activities. In membership matters, Robert Hansen
stated that we were all encouraged to continue to spread the word about
the Federation wherever we go. Those who are calling should make their
calls about a week ahead of time. Patti asked that we get contact
information for the three new people we have at this meeting. Denise
mentioned that some people have not been receiving fan-out calls.

Old-new Business: The CTA ADA Advisory Committee will meet on April 8.
Steve and Jemal attended the Metra ADA Advisory Committee meeting on
February 5. Talk centered on renovation of Metra stations and the
purchase of new cars for Metra trains.

Secretary’s Report: It was moved and seconded to approve minutes for
the January meeting. The motion carried. Though there was not a formal
treasurer’s report this month, Marco did report a balance of $4,477.

The meeting adjourned at 2:34 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary