[il-talk] FW: PA Position Announcement

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Tue Jun 11 00:54:53 UTC 2019

From: A listserv for the Disability Cultural Center at the University of Illinois at Chicago [mailto:DCCCOMMUNITY at LISTSERV.UIC.EDU] On Behalf Of Sylvie Rosenkalt
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 3:11 PM
To: DCCCOMMUNITY at LISTSERV.UIC.EDU
Subject: PA Position Announcement

Job opportunity: Personal Assistant (P.A.)

Hello, my name is Carrie Kaufman and I am a full-time wheelchair user. I'm looking for a personal assistant for morning shifts and evening shifts, 4 hours each. This job is in Lakeview and will be at my apartment 90% of the time aside from errands and a rare doctor's appointment.

I’m queer woman, artist, & activist. I put a lot of work into a PA relationship and a lot of loving energy into my self-care and my space and I am looking for somebody who can help me to do that well. I need support and assistance more than I need traditional caregiving, although there is much care in all of the work that we will do together.

This is a great job for students, people with atypical work schedules, or anyone with an open mind wanting to gain valuable experience while making some extra cash. Previous experience is not required and I will provide training and an opportunity to shadow my current PA.

Qualities of a good PA

Able to be on your feet and moving, bending, reaching Able to lift safely
Respectful and compassionate
Flexible

Takes this commitment seriously
Has healthy boundaries
On time and responsible
Takes directions and able to learn new things Understanding of disability identity

Not ableist, racist, or homophobic

TASKS

Food prep & clean up including dishes
Help with getting dressed and personal care
Lifting me in an out of my chair
Housework/maintenance including laundry & taking out garbage Bathroom assistance
Assist with stretching and exercise routines
Paperwork/mail
Support with art projects/decorating
Make sure space is generally neat

DOLLARS & TIME & EXPECTATIONS

-PAs are paid by the state at the current rate of $13.48 per hour (as of April 2019). We call in from my phone at the beginning and end of each shift to clock hours. Processing & payroll takes about one month for the first check, with a check coming every two weeks after that.
-There is no additional compensation for travel/travel time.
-I expect people to show up on time to let me know if they are running late -I need plenty of advanced notice if you are unable to work

QUESTIONS

If you're interested in applying, please send me your answers to the following questions and anything else you'd like to include. Please also send a resume and references, at least one professional and one personal/character reference.

Why are you interested in this position?
Please describe any experience offering assistance and support.
Do you consider yourself to be a patient person?
Once you learn a routine are you good at taking initiative?
Are you able to maintain a clean and organized space?
Would you say that you take good care of yourself?
How would this position fit into a balance with your own life, other work and personal needs?
Are you comfortable offering occasional emotional support?
Are you ever available in last minute situations?
What is your general availability for this?
What part of the city do you live in and how do you get around?

Send answers and resumes to Carrie.kaufman at gmail.com <mailto:Carrie.kaufman at gmail.com>

 <https://drive.google.com/a/uic.edu/file/d/0B1y9hpXxY4IOUFVRMjN1c3VpaXdfWkNhWlNNSTNpbWFpLUcw/view?usp=drive_web>  Carrie Kaufman PA position.docx

---