[IL-Talk] FW: American Foundation for the Blind Announces the Flatten Inaccessibility Report

Chang, Patti pattischang at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:44:56 UTC 2020

Below is the official announcement!

The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is proud to announce the release of the Flatten Inaccessibility research report <https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=3af41faa46&e=8818327163> , the culmination of survey findings from 1,921 U.S. participants who are blind or have low vision. Of those who participated, 65% of participants were blind and 35% had low vision. Forty-three-percent (43%) reported having an additional disability, with diabetes, hearing impairment, and significant psychiatric disorders being the most frequently reported.

The survey investigated the experiences of these participants during the start of the COVID-19 pandemic to determine how they were affected in areas including transportation availability, healthcare, access to food and supplies, employment, education, and voting.

“While other research projects examine the risk to people with disabilities of contracting COVID-19, AFB and the other organizations behind this study had concerns about the quality of life for those most affected by community and public policy responses, such as reduced public transportation options, the quick transition mandating employees work from home, and school closings,” Dr. L. Penny Rosenblum <https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=dbde81bcfb&e=8818327163> , AFB Director of Research said.

The survey was made possible thanks to the collaboration among 16 organizations <https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=fc743425d3&e=8818327163>  and companies concerned about the impact of COVID-19 on adults with visual impairments in the United States.

We want to engage in dialogue about how individuals, organizations, and companies are using the results of the Flatten Inaccessibility study. Use the hashtag #FlattenInaccessibility to share your experiences and ideas.

We are committed to conducting high-quality research related to blindness and low vision and sharing our findings broadly. If you would like to receive information about research opportunities, reports, webinars, and other ways we are sharing our research, please sign up <https://afb.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd3c8fefc9f905f5ccf41c577&id=ed4d3f52a4&e=8818327163> .

Thank you,

AFB Communications