[IL-Talk] at large minutes april 2021

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Tue Apr 27 12:16:57 UTC 2021

NFBI AT LARGE MEETING

APRIL 4, 2021

President Marilyn Green called the meeting to order at approximately
7:05 PM. We did not have a formal program in April, as elections were
the focus for this month.

National Presidential Release: NFB President, Mark Riccobono presided.
Some of the highlights were as follows.
1.      The National Office has put together a survey concerning the
accessibility of websites where one can make appointments for Covid
vaccinations. We are all encouraged to fill out the survey.
2.      We are sponsoring Dan Parker, a blind racer who will attempt to
break the speed record of a blindfolded driver.
3.      H.R431 the Access Technology Affordability Act has 71
cosponsors in the house and 15 cosponsors in the senate. The senate
number for this bill is S212. S1, the “For the People Act” has passed
the house and is now being considered in the senate. President
Riccobono has written a letter to all senators asking that the bill be
amended so that the access to voting we have gained thanks to the Help
America Vote Act will be retained. You can find a copy of the letter on
our policy page. Please write Senators Duckworth and Durbin, asking
them to support our amendments.
4.      The Survivor lead Task force is continuing to work on make the
federation a safer, more inclusive place for all of us. Rainn training
has begun with approximately 250 members having gone through it.
5.      We now have a new group in the federation for blind muslims.
The chair is Tasnie Attulie.
6.      The convention will take place via zoom, July 6-10. Maryland is
the host affiliate.
7.      We will begin to accept funds from chapters divisions and
groups to our National funds on May 1. Please declare your contribution
by July 5 and send it to the National office by August 1 if
possible.Contributions will be recognized during the honor rollcall at
convention.
8.      For door prizes, please make checks payable to the National
Federation of the Blind and include door prize in the memo line. Checks
and gift cards may be sent to 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place,
Baltimore MD 21230.
9.      A fillable PDF registration form has been posted to our
website. Please assist members who do not have e-mail by filling out
the form and e-mailing it to the National office.
10.     Several federation members passed away during the month of
March and two new members were born.
If one wishes to hear the Presidential release in its entirety, go to
www.nfb.org, click on publications and media, and finally, click onto
presidential release.

Marilyn Green gave the state report. She urged all of us to register
for the National convention in July. She also mentioned the
congressional members from Illinois who have signed onto H.R431. They
include Bobby Rush, Robyn Kelly, Jesus Garcia, Raja Krishnamoorthy, Jan
Schakowsky, Brad Schneider, Mike Bost, Rodney Davis and Lauren
Underwood. Please write your congress person if they have yet to sign
onto the bill. We hope to have a face-to-face convention in Illinois
this year. If we do, it along with the face-to-face board meeting will
occur at the Sheriton Hotel in Lysle. Whether we are live or on zoomn,
the convention will occur October 22-24, 2021.

Elections: Marilyn stated that she would not be running for At Large
President this year. She thanked every             one for their
support over the last three years. The following people were elected
for the coming year. President, David Meyer, Vice-President, Leslie
Hamric, Secretary-Treasurer, Bill Reif, and board members Debbie
Pittman and Danny Mandrell.

There was no old or new business.

The next at large meeting will take place on May 2 at 7:00 PM.

The meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Bill Reif, Secretary-Treasurer.