[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of April 26

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Apr 28 13:49:54 UTC 2021

News:

Legislative Activity:

There is a lot happening with our advocacy and policy work. Along with
several new cosponsors on the Access Technology Affordability Act
(H.R. 431/S. 212) and the Transformation to Competitive Integrated
Employment Act (H.R. 2373), there will likely be an amendment
introduced today or tomorrow to the Endless Frontiers Act (S. 1260)
regarding autonomous vehicles. Pending our analysis of the final
language, we anticipate supporting this amendment. Please watch for
possible legislative alerts later this week.

Climate Assessment Survey Coming This Week:

As mentioned in the April 15 open letter from President Riccobono, the
National Federation of the Blind has extended our partnership with
RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN
will develop and administer an anonymous survey to collect feedback
directly from our diverse community, including members and nonmembers,
to better understand the experiences, needs, and concerns of our
community as they relate to sexual misconduct. The survey is expected
to be released on Wednesday, April 28, and may take up to thirty
minutes. There will be a web version on Survey Monkey and an automated
phone option for completing the survey. Stay tuned for more details.

Participate on Potential Radio Project:

The National Federation of the Blind is exploring a potential pilot
streaming-audio project to inform, inspire, and entertain members and
potential members. The initial plan is to start by using our large
existing audio library in a way that allows simple access at any time
of day or night, similar to an online radio station. If you have
technical expertise or content ideas and/or are interested in
participating in an ad-hoc group for this project, send an email to
communicationsteam at nfb.org. Please include any relevant background
about you, why you think this potential resource might be useful,
and/or any recommendations you have.

National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct now on NFB-NEWSLINE®:

The NFB Code of Conduct and a list of frequently asked questions
regarding the code is now available on NFB-NEWSLINE. You will find
both audio and text versions using the telephone access method, by
selecting option one from the main menu, followed by another press of
the one key for the NFB National Channel, then following the prompts.
To access this content on the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile app, go to the
“Information Sources” page and select the “All Publications” link. The
NFB Code of Conduct is the first publication in the list.

New Mobile Ballot Marking Platform by GlobalMobile:

A new mobile ballot marking platform to mark and return ballots using
a smartphone has been developed by GlobalMobile. We are working with
GlobalMobile to ensure that the platform is accessible. Please be
advised that GlobalMobile may also reach out to our affiliates to
provide feedback on the platform or to participate in a meeting they
have arranged with your secretary of state. It is important that
affiliates coordinate their participation with our national office
staff. If your affiliate decides to participate in these meetings,
please let us know, and please bear in mind that in our advocacy
efforts for accessible electronic ballot delivery and return we do not
endorse a particular platform. To discuss coordination of efforts or
to get other questions answered about this work, feel free to contact
either Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension
2221, or Jeff Kaloc at jkaloc at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2206.

Spring 2021 College Board AP Exams:

High school students who encounter barriers with their Spring 2021
College Board AP Exam accommodations, and/or have been told that
Braille or tactile graphics are not available for exams, are
encouraged to contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at
vyingling at nfb.org.

National Telecommuting Institute:

The National Federation of the Blind, on behalf of itself, an NFB
member, and all similarly situated individuals, has filed a complaint
with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination against
National Telecommuting Institute (NTI) for NTI’s discrimination
against blind job applicants who use screen access software and other
assistive technology. If you have applied for a job through NTI and
similarly been denied employment because you use screen access
software, or if you wish to work from home doing customer service work
and are willing to apply with NTI, please contact Valerie Yingling,
legal program coordinator, at vyingling at nfb.org.

Amazon Fulfillment Center Employment:

As it relates to our recent agreement with Amazon, the National
Federation of the Blind is hoping to speak with individuals who have
had workplace accommodations denied, been placed on unpaid leave,
and/or otherwise experienced discrimination related to Amazon
fulfillment center employment. Please contact Valerie Yingling at
vyingling at nfb.org to report your Amazon fulfillment center experience.

Presidential Release Next Week—Captioning and Spanish Available:

Tune in to the next Presidential Release of the National Federation of
the Blind on Monday, May 3, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks
there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to
cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR505 in the subject line, or call
410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish
interpretation will be available. Mark your calendars! Learn the many
ways to access the presidential release. Try listening to the live
stream on your favorite Amazon device by asking Alexa to play Nation’s
Blind.

Facebook Live this Wednesday for NFB BELL® and NFB EQ:

Join the National Federation of the Blind on Wednesday, April 28, at
1:30 p.m. eastern, to learn about some of the materials we will be
sending out for the summer programs, NFB BELL and NFB EQ. NFB BELL
will have three virtual sessions over the summer for blind children
ages four to twelve. NFB EQ is a month-long virtual program during
July for blind high school students. Registration for both programs is
still open. Deadlines are approaching in early May. Learn more about
the Facebook Live event.

Blind Driver Challenge Initial Test Runs April 30 to May 2:

As part of the Blind Driver Challenge, the National Federation of the
Blind and Cruise Automation are collaborating with Federationist Dan
Parker to build and operate a car to attempt to break the Guinness
Book World Record for the “Fastest Speed for a Car Driven Blindfolded”
in the fall of 2021, anticipating reaching a speed of over two hundred
miles per hour. This coming weekend, April 30 to May 2, Dan will be
doing several test runs in Blytheville, Arkansas. Stay tuned for more
details coming at BlindDriverChallenge.org.

Partnering and Accessibility:

We believe that accessibility is important, and we urge our national
partners to improve their accessibility, too. We should also keep this
in mind when we are partnering and looking for speakers at the local
and state level. Calling out the truth about an inaccessible web page
in a private and polite manner is appropriate. Keep in mind that if we
invite organizations to present to our members whose websites are not
fully accessible, we are not being true to our brand or our mission.
Let's make sure we tell those we work with when their websites are not
accessible to us.

California DMV Kiosks to Become More Accessible:

The National Federation of the Blind and three blind Californians have
collaborated with the California Department of Motor Vehicles and
Intellectual Technology, Inc., a provider of self-service kiosks,
regarding accessibility features for DMV Now kiosks utilized in
California. Read and share the press release

Reminders:

Give $20 Convention Drawing:

Each year, thousands of Federation members and friends make donations
to fund our great programs. Your continued support is needed. When you
participate in the Give $20 campaign you will be entered into the Give
$20 convention drawing (formerly known as the Kenneth Jernigan
convention drawing) AND help our work to change lives for blind people
across the country.

How to Contribute and Qualify:

Please note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for
contributions by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

You must specify a fund in order to be entered into the drawing. You
can do this by using our Give $20 online donation form or writing in
the memo if giving by check. Choose one of the following funds:
Kenneth Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund, White Cane Fund, or the tenBroek
Fund. Your donation will be counted for the drawing regardless of
which fund you designate.

·       Donate online now.

·       Donate via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314,
extension 2282.

·       Send a check to Attention: Give20, National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.
Be sure to have "Give 20" and the fund you are donating to in the
memo.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

May 1: Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award nominations deadline
May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
May 7: NFB BELL Academy application deadline (for session one)
May 10: NFB EQ application deadline
June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396