[IL-Talk] chicago minutes draft 2.

David Meyer datemeyer at sero.email
Mon Jan 4 18:45:36 UTC 2021

National Federation of the Blind of Illinois Chicago Chapter

Minutes for December 12, 2020

The meeting took place via the Zoom platform.

President David Meyer called the meeting to order at 1:01 pm. Of note,
participants included  Horacio Esparza from the Progress Center and Ann
Brash from the Illinois Council of the Blind. We all  recited the NFB Pledge.

What's Happening: Dave stated that things are good for Teresa. Dave's
extended family, his younger  brother, his wife, and his daughter all
had COVID and his cousin and his wife had COVID for a  second time. All
are recovering pretty well. Board member, Denise Avant, reported that
she was  recently elected to the board of directors for Access Living
Chicago. Gina Falvo said that she is a  9-year breast cancer survivor.
Nadia Sherman says that she had a minor procedure done and that she
asked everybody to pray for her. First Vice President, Patti Chang said
that Dick Davis from Blind  Inc has had COVID. He is in the hospital,
but he is not on a ventilator. She also says that some of  her family
members down in Belize have COVID. Steve Hastalis reports that Metra
and its ADA  advisory committee have appointed him chairman and his
first meeting as chair will take place on  February 2. We had a grand
total of 29 people participating.

Program Item: Our speaker for today's program, Ms. Hazel Bowman is a
disability inclusions  coordinator for an agency called Anixter in
Chicago. She has come with a host of jobs to fill. She  says that the
Anixter Center has been advocating for people with disabilities For the
last 100 years. we have been advocating for individuals with
disabilities. Anixter received a grant and this grant is geared toward
placing individuals with  disabilities into healthcare job
opportunities. We are partnering with Mount Siani and the  University
of Chicago Hospitals. We're trying to place individuals into current
jobs. We're trying  to find individuals who can do the essential
functions of the job and there will be some  accommodations being made
based on individual situations. We want to place people into jobs who
are blind or low vision. Ms. Bowman wants to find out if you know  of
someone who is qualified to fill any role in either Mount Siani or
University of Chicago  Hospitals and to place these qualified
individuals into jobs. Ms. Bowman's phone number is  312-415-4505 and
her email address is  hbowman at anixter.org . Dave commented that not
everybody uses the same accommodations because everybody is going to
need  different needs in accommodations. He asked if this can be taken
on an individual basis for those  who apply. Ms. Bowman said that we
can take this on a case-by-case basis. Patti commented that many  times
we get into a job situation where the underlying software is
inaccessible. These hospitals  ensured that their underlying software
is accessible to blind who use screen-reading software. Dave  mentioned
that there are other organizations that would also be interested in
working with Ms.  Bowman. Horacio Esparza from the Progress Center is
willing to help find recruits. This is a center  for independent living
that is a cross-disability center, so it would be more than blind folks
possibly.

National Presidential Release #500, Tuesday, December 1, 2020:
President Riccobono said that they  are in the living room foyer space
of the Barney Street Wing, the newly remodeled space.
We still have Braille calendars available from the American Action Fund
for Blind Children and  Adults. 2021 Braille calendars are available
while supplies last and will be available in the  market until 1/31 and
not available after that date. So if you have not gotten a free Braille
calendar for 2021, you should call the market and get yours quickly. We
do have gift certificates  available for the Independence Market. They
are available for purchase in amounts of $25, $50,  $75, or $100. The
gift certificates are valid for up to 4 years from the date of
purchase. You can  get the gift certificates as a PDF that's emailed to
you or you can get it sent to you via the  regular mail in Braille
format, and you can get more information about them by sending an email
to  independencemarket at nfb.org  or you can call the national office at
410-659-9314. A good piece of news to look forward to in  2021 will be
the reemergence of our Independence Market website where you can order
products. It  has been down for some time. We've been rebuilding and
retooling it into our new website.
Last month during American Education Week which was11/16, we sent a
letter to all of the top  education officials in all of the 50 states,
the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can  read that letter by
going to nfb.org/legal. That letter calls on the state's education
officials to  recognize the critical barriers that blind students face
in inaccessible educational technologies  and it calls them to take
actions to make sure that blind students have equal access. We have
gotten a number of responses from some of the state's educational
officers and we will be following  up with those individuals in putting
resources together. We're getting a good response so far.  We've gotten
some engaging phone calls from folks who are interested in what we have
to say and  we're going to put together some resources to help.
We have a December open house. The open house events are for
prospective new members to learn about  our organization and we'll be
having an open house on Sunday, 12/13, at 7:00 pm. Our Smart City
Summit meeting is on 1/28, and, on moving it to 1/28, we're also going
to take advantage of that  being the day before 1/29/21, which will be
the 10th anniversary of the blind driver challenge. The  blind driver
challenge was our effort to build a car that a blind person can drive
and the first  public demonstration was on 1/29/11. More information
will be sent to the listserves about the  Smart City Summit. Our access
technology team has a number of accessibility training sessions  coming
up, We call these accessibility boutiques. Go to nfb.org and look for
our accessibility  boutiques under our programs and services. When we
get into January, we will be preparing for our  Washington Seminar. We
are encouraged to plan to participate in the Washington Seminar during
the  second week of February, but also before that, we're going to be
offering some training in January  to get ready for the issues.
The Freedom Scientific Company is offering $50,000 to NFB if we can
raise $50,000 before the end of  the year. If you give a gift before
the end of the year, it will be matched by Vispero up to  $50,000. You
can make a contribution online by going to nfb.org/donate. You can send
a check to the  National Office at 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD
21230. You can call our main number and  dial extension 2282 and
someone will get back to you to make your contribution. As long as it
is  made by the end of the year, that will help.
Secretary's Minutes for October 10th: Approved.
Treasurer's report: Steve says we have $3,285 in the treasury.
State Presidential Report: NFBI state president, Marilyn Green thanked
everyone who came to the  state convention. It was a great success, We
have our next state board meeting on 12/21 at 7:00 pm.  The state
committee list will go out on January 1 on ill-talk. If there is any
committee that you would  like to serve on, please send Marilyn an
email at  president at nfbofillinois.org  and her phone number is
312-343-8396. The Blind Services Planning Council has appointed Marco
Gianotti as one of our representatives. Andrew Webb has served on
behalf of our affiliate for the  last 6 years. Governor Pritzker
reviewed the composition of the Blind Services Planning Council
Marilyn thanked Dave Meyer for sending letters to the state
legislature, to the minority and  majority leaders as well as the
speaker of the house, Mike Madigan on behalf of the affiliate as it
related to our appointment on the Blind Services Planning Council.
Marilyn got a phone call from the  honorable speaker, Mike Madigan's
chief of staff regarding our seat on the Blind Services Planning  Council.
We are currently beginning to work on making voting accessible by mail
for all blind people in the  State of Illinois. Just because this
year's election is over, there will be elections going forward  and
blind people will need an accessible vote by mail option.
Marilyn has appointed Denise Avant and Dustin Cather to chair our
federal legislation committee. Denise states  that the Washington
Seminar is going to be virtual and this will give everyone an
opportunity to  apply to represent the Illinois affiliate at the
Washington Seminar because you don't have to  travel anywhere. You
don't have to worry about the expense of travel, getting a hotel, or
food. If  you want to represent our affiliate at the Washington Seminar
for 2021, you can apply. The application is on the NFB of Illinois
website. Go to www.nfbofillinois.org/washington-seminar and that
application  is due to our president by 12/31. We will make sure you
are well-trained in the issues so that you  can be articulate. Everyone
in our affiliate is intelligent. Illinois is one of the few affiliates
that offer training, plus our national office also offers training. The
dates for the Washington  Seminar are February 8, 9, 10, and 11. The
Washington Seminar will start with the Great Gathering  In. Denise
invited everyone to fill out the application, submit it by 12/31, and,
perhaps, you will be  chosen to represent our affiliate at the
Washington Seminar. We have received 4 applications so  far, but we can
have more members this year. Illinois has a large congressional
deligation, so we're  looking forward to having people who don't
ordinarily get the chance to participate be able to do  so.
Patti Chang and Debbie Stein are co-chairing the scholarship committee
for 2021. The committee has  started by posting the application. The
application is on our website at nfbofillinois.org/scholarsh ip or you
can go to nfbofillinois.org and look for the link. The application is
due on 3/31. We  need to get the word out and we'll need to make sure
that students don't wait till the last minute  to apply. There is an
application. There is an essay. There is a letter of recommendation and
you'll need to talk to the president or her designee in order to apply
in Illinois because you do  need a president's letter from our
president or her designee. Spread the word to anybody you know.  Make
sure that they are aware early enough that they can get this done. The
best time to do it is  over the winter break. The second thing that we
will need to do is come to the meetings with the  students, to keep
urging people to apply and offer some assistance if people need
assistance. The  committee will meet on 1/7 because we'll be proactive
about getting the word out. Ellen Bartell  says that there will be a
virtual Midwest Student Seminar. The dates that we are looking at are
3/19 and 3/20. The registration form is not up yet.
Dave asked if one is not selected or chooses not to apply for the
Washington Seminar, may they  still attend the Great Gathering In being
that it is a zoom meeting this year? Denise said that we  don't have a
lot of details about that yet. From the way things sound, you would be
able to attend.
Exchequer Pub is having a very difficult time right now. It is
difficult enough that somebody  actually started a Go Fund Me page for
them. We had discussed whether or not we should give  something in
advance to Exchequer, either a donation or something in which to help
them out in the  short-run. Our Chicago Chapter board came up with a
possible solution and Dave would also like this  discussed and acted
upon during the general meeting as well, that we would pay for our next
12  sessions at Exchequer in advance. This would be a total of $900. It
does stretch us tight in order  to do this, but we do have the money to
do it. If Exchequer is not able to make it from a financial
standpoint, they would be left with the remaining contribution that has
not been used. We were  hoping to advance the contribution from what
would amount to the next 12 meetings. Whether they  would be in 2021,
2022, or a combination thereof. Patti will make a motion that we pay
Exchequer  for what will amount to the next 12 meeting sessions. Jemal
seconded the motion. Jemal asked if  Exchequer does not make it, has
there been alternative plans made like another meeting site? Dave
replied if Exchequer can't handle us, we're not sure if any other place
can handle us either, and,  if they are, it will be a lot more money
than we now pay. The motion carried.
Read-a-thon: We had a read-a-thon in November. It turned out reasonably
good. Once all contributions  come in, we will have $775 as a result of
this event. We did not have a lot of people reading  this time and
people who did solicit or make donations towards the read-a-thon did
not reach outside  of the organization to try to get donations. Dave
asked if anybody has any ideas as to maybe what  changes we might be
able to make to improve the read-a-thon overall or to make it more
inclusive.  Patti says that for her the timing is difficult because
it's close to the state convention and  close to other state
conventions. Patti said that she would like to see us move it to
February or  March. We used to have Dick's fundraiser in the spring and
the Read-a-thon would be good for a  different time of year. We can do
more on social media to promote it. Patti also suggested that we  do
something to help people understand that even if they can't read, they
can still seek donations  from their friends and families to support
whoever else is reading. Denise suggested that those of  us who are
Braille readers if we could tie it to Braille Readers are Leaders so
that people  participating in that can get people to sponsor you. Dave
said that we did the time that we did  either October or November
because we considered it to be a Chicago Chapter Meet the Blind Month
activity. There were some folks that did not participate this year
because we had to do it via  conference call and the reason we had to
do it that way was that the Zoom account was still in  transition at
the time of the event. That no longer is an issue. The Zoom account is
presently in  place. It might be best that if we do have a Read-a-thon,
that we use the Zoom platform to do it,  because, in that way, we can
simply do it from where we are. We don't have to congregate anywhere.
During the last several years, we have set up this event where we had a
$10 entry fee for anyone  choosing to read. But, if they were able to
raise more than $10 from others, that $10 admission fee would be
waived. Dave asked us to keep this in the back of our  minds. If you do
have any thoughts on this, let Dave know.

Old Business: Eileen noticed that there were scooters in her
neighborhood that are attached to  poles and the Lime scooters are in
Braille and the Bird scooters do not have Braille on them. Dave  stated
that from his understanding, that all companies were to provide both
Braille and large print  contact information on their scooters. Debbie
replied yes, the scooters are to have Braille and  raised print which
will be legible to large print readers and legible to some people who
cannot  read large print but don't know Braille. Steve says that we
have another meeting coming up on  12/22. It seems like the people
running it are dismissive of the concerns of the blind community. We
have a resolution on the website, so we can go tell them to consult our
resolution that expresses  NFB's concern. We have a state resolution
and a national resolution on the subject. Debbie raised  the concern
about scooters parallel to the quiet automobile advocacy that we have
done and nobody  seemed to know or care about that. Debbie and Steve
attended the last advisory committee meeting. The people running that
activity have not contacted Debbie or Steve. Denise did write to the
Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities in 2019 asking them to make
sure that any people  entering as contractors for the scooters to make
sure that they were marked with Braille and large  print so that people
would know where to call in case there was a problem and also make sure
that  the AP was accessible. Now that was in Round 1 of the testing and
then in early January, the city  said that it was going to engage in
Round 2 of the testing. Denise knew that Lime had put Braille  on their
scooters, but she did not know about the rest of the carriers. We may
need to reach out to  the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities
to remind them about our concerns as far as  reporting. The other thing
is that Denise heard on the news that the City is supposed to do a
survey of citizens citywide to get their comments or their feelings
about the scooters. The news  report did not say when the survey would
be started or how people would be able to go online to  take the
survey. If we can ever find out where that survey is, it would give us
a chance to take  the survey and register any comments that we have
about scooters. Marilyn commented that this would  be a wonderful
opportunity for the Chicago Chapter to reach out to Commissioner Arfa
particularly  on this item, because if Lime was doing it and the other
scooter companies are not and they are  allowed to operate in the City
of Chicago and Mayor Lightfoot has stated that she wants Chicago to  be
the most accessible city in the country. This is definitely an issue
that we should address to  Commissioner Arfa's Office whether it's a
letter to her or a phone call inviting her to a future  chapter meeting
to express the concerns that we have. Denise said the pilot project may
be over.  They will survey and then it will be time for Mayor Lightfoot
to make a decision as to whether she  is going to allow them in. Steve
commented that we needed to get this to the city officials, so  when
they bring this program back after the winter months, they have this
requirement for the  operators of these scooters. It seems that Lime
has taken our concerns seriously unlike some of  these other service
providers. Marilyn said that it's important that we get ahead of this
and if we  make our concerns known to the Mayor's Office, she has
jurisdiction to determine and to let these  companies know that in the
next pilot, for, if they are going to operate in the City of Chicago,
these are the requirements and, hopefully, she will put forth some type
of censuring for them if  they don't do as asked if they don't provide
Braille, large print, raised letters, whatever the  case might be, that
some type of sanctioning for them. Kira states that the legislative
committee  will take action either having Steve or someone appointed or
herself prior to the December 22  meeting.

New Business: Horacio Esparza, executive director of the Progress
Center, thanked us for the  invitation to the meeting. He has been at
the Progress Center for 21 years. Prior to working at the  Progress
Center, he worked at ICRE Wood for a couple of years providing Spanish
translation for  anyone who needed it. In 1994-1995, he formed a
support group for the visually impaired who were  undocumented and were
not eligible for any services and he was teaching them Braille,as well
as orientation and mobility. Recently he has been appointed to serve on
the Blind Services Planning Council. Horacio  said that under their
internship program, they recruited many blind and visually impaired
people at  the Progress Center.

The meeting adjourned at 3:01 pm.

Respectfully submitted: Eileen F. Truschke, Secretary, Chicago Chapter
Date