[IL-Talk] at large minutes june 2021

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Mon Jul 26 11:56:16 UTC 2021

NFBI At Large Chapter

Minutes of meeting held June 22nd, 2021

Members present: President Dave Meyer, Marilyn Green, Secretary Bill
Reif, Debbie Pittman, Danny Mandrell, Linda Hendle, Dan Tevelte, and
John Holtgreve. Attendees:  Steve Hastalas, Ken Chad, Jemal Powell, and
Tammy Hamton.

Marilyn moved, and Dan seconded, that Minutes for the May meeting be
tabled until or unless the secretary can reassemble a record of what
happened and who attended. The secretary did report that, according to
memory,  there was no Presidential Release at the May meeting and that
the program item consisted of a detailed reading and review of the NFBs
most recent revisions to its Code of Conduct. All members and others
participating in NFB-sponsored events are considered to have agreed to
abide by this code.

Debby Pittman introduced the meetings program item. Tammy Hamton works
in an embroidery shop with her Godmother. The shop specializes
primarily in Masonic regalia, and also produces merchandise for sports
teams, etc. She described some of the non-visual techniques and
technologies she uses in the process of taking phone orders, directing
customers to what they are looking for, making sales, processing
refunds if necessary, and identifying money. She said the iPhone app
Seeing AI has proven very helpful in describing colors or pictures and
in identifying money.

Dave Meyer reported that we now have $451 and change in our Treasury.
The At Large treasury is held as a sub account of the NFBI as it is now
small enough not to make sense to have its own account. We discussed
whether the At Large Chapter, in conjunction with our upcoming NFB
Convention, should contribute to one or more of the funds through which
the NFB is financed. The purpose of each of four funds was discussed.
Bill Reif moved, and Marilyn seconded, that we donate $100 to the
Kenneth Jernigan Fund, a fund which financially assists those wishing
to attend their first National convention. Aside from a $150 donation
in the past, our expenses have been limited to funding our State
Conventions pizza party. It was noted that this year, unlike last,
there will be a hybrid convention. Debbie Pittman moved, and bill
seconded, an amendment to donate $25 each to the Jernigan, the White
Cane, the Tenbroek and the SUN funds. This amendment was voted down.
The original motion to donate $100 to the Jernigan Fund passed four to two.

State Report:

Marilyn reported that registration is still open for National
Convention, but you will not be able to vote if you missed the May 31
deadline. She mentioned the upcoming Rookie Roundup, though
registration for that event may have already closed. She reported that
at our State Board Meeting, it was voted we will have a hybrid
convention October 22nd through noon October 24th at the Sheridan Lisle
Naperville, 3000 Warrenville Rd, Naperville, IL. Room rate is $99 per
night. Please contact Marilyn with convention ideas, theme suggestion,
etc. Our face to face Board Meeting is scheduled to take place August
28th at the same hotel and room rate. There are two more Braille
Enrichment for Learning and Literacy (BELL) at Home sessions scheduled.
We are urged to let people who have young children know to contact
Debby Stein, dkent5817 at att.net or contact her if interested in
mentoring. Illinois has secured 12 cosponsors for HR 431  our Access
Technology Affordability Act, and has Senator Ducworth cosponsoring
S212. To check whether your cosponsor is on contact Dustin Cather, at
cather.dustin at gmail.com or Denise Avant at davant1958 at gmail.com.

Presidential Release 506 was played. Most items regard the upcoming
convention, which will have taken place before you read this and are
therefore not included. Mitell has released a Helen Keller doll with
Braille on the package. President Riccobono, in recognition of June
being Pride Month, introduced Sanho Steel Lukart who has published in
the February Monitor and was recently appointed Chair of the NFB
LGBTQAI+ Group. The group is intended as a place for LGBTQAI+ and
allies to discuss intersectionality and visibility. The group meets
every Thursday at 9:00 PM on Zoom. The group also has an email list
that can be found on nfbnet.org. There is also a facebook group NFB
LGBT. He reported that The Access Technology Affordability Act, HR 431
has 83 cosponsors. Companion bill S 232 has 20. Our goal is to get a
quarter of each chamber to cosponsor. Our Endless Frontiers Act has
been renamed the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act. This act deals
with autonimous vehicles. The NFB supports a Senator Thoon  amendment
mandates such vehicles include access technology for people with
disabilities. The amendment would also prohibit licensing provisions
that would preclude people with disabilities from operating them. The
NFB has released a Blind Parents Essential Guide to Effective
Communications in Public and Private Schools, available at blindparents.org.

Vallary Yingling needs to hear from people who have experienced
employment discrimination at Amazon fulfillment centers, or through
the National Telecommunicating Institute. The latter is a company with
a platform that can allow people to work remotely. Her email:
vyingling at nfb.org. This pi part of investigatory work by the NFB.

Next Meeting:

The July meeting will not take place, due to the fact it is already
late June and the upcoming National Convention. The next meeting is
scheduled for Sunday August
first at 7:00 PM on Zoom.

The meeting adjourned at about 9:23 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,