[IL-Talk] Today's meeting

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 4 07:42:08 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone,

The consensus of the committee is that most could meet later today, at
the proposed time of 6:30 PM. The State Legislative Committee will meet
this time via the free conference line. The number is (605) 313-4819.
Access code: 6324#. All who are interested in our state legislative
efforts are welcome to attend.

There are several items of legislation we are following, and one in
which we are involved in promoting. The agenda is below:

Voting Accessibility: SB2326, contains many of the provisions included
in efforts to make voting by mail more accessible. Many on the committee
are involved in discussions with the Illinois State Board of Elections
and other stake holders such as Equipped for Equality. NFB
representatives are also involved.

Rehabilitation Services changes: HB1981

My review of the full text suggest that changes that appear to restrict
services may actually reflect a federal focus on rehabilitation that
happened several years ago.

Elimentary and  Secondary Education: Internet Accessibility: HB26

This bill is assigned to the House Elimentary/secondary Education
Committee. So far, no virtual hearing has been set. Accessibility for
the blind is particularly important with online instruction's recent
prominence.

Finally: We will also discuss what may be efforts to move the Department
of Rehabilitation services from a subdepartment of Human Services to the
Department of Commerce.  I do not know whether these efforts are
legislative, or even whether legislation may be necessary.

We suddenly find ourselves with many issues to monitor. Fortunately, we
have a large State Legislation Committee I am hopeful can assist Dave
and I in this important work.

Cordially,

Bill Reif, State Legislative Chair