[IL-Talk] Suggestions about Using Lyft

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 14:58:47 UTC 2021

Hi Dan. Here are a few things that I've helped me out with Lyft/Uber. First, I have a shortcut in my phone called ITB which means I'm totally blind. In that shortcut I put the following text: I am totally blind. Eyes no work. Please speak my name when you pull up. I have used Aira before and have not had problems with the connection dropping so it could depend on the area where you're at. Third, about two minutes or so before the driver is to pull up, I called them, tell them what I'm wearing and that I have my cane orguide dog, and let's stay on the phone until you see me. You can always call Ira after you've scheduled the ride and let them know the color of the car that you're looking for and then they'll tell you when it pulls up. I have my notifications turned on so Lyft or Uber can notify me when the driver has pulled up. If I hear the car pulling up, I will go over to it and ask what their name is and where they're from. If the name matches what I have on the app, but I know that they're from Uber or Lyft and they're safe. I know what you mean about travel being a challenge, especially since the fares have gone out of style. For example, he used to cost me 30 bucks each way to get from my house to Elmhurst Symphony and now it's 50 bucks each way. And that's because I'm going in rush-hour. But if I were going in the morning, it would only cost me 30. And I am not paying 50 bucks each way to get to rehearsal. So Andy is driving me. But not everybody has a sighted person around so what do you do in that case? I hope these suggestions are helpful and hang in there. Hope hopefully others on the list will chime in on the discussion as well and have more suggestions.
Leslie

Leslie Hamric
Cello and Braille Music Teacher
Board member of National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division