[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of August 15

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Fri Aug 19 20:47:30 UTC 2022

Critical Actions:

NFB.org Website Maintenance this Weekend:

Please note that
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3rAR
gQNfKsAb7ub-51jLqM> nfb.org and subdomains of
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3rAR
gQNfKsAb7ub-51jLqM> nfb.org will be undergoing a scheduled maintenance and
upgrade to Drupal 9 Saturday, August 20, and Saturday, August 27. If there
is content you need for a weekend chapter meeting, it may be helpful to
download prior to Saturday. Thank you for your understanding.

Prospective Member Open House:

The National Federation of the Blind invites blind people to an open house
for prospective members on August 31 from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m., eastern, via
Zoom. Please recommend this opportunity to those who have questions about
who we are, our philosophy, and how to join. Please email
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/ctk273du645d/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=membership@n
fb.org> membership at nfb.org to sign up.

Host the October Presidential Release LIVE:

President Riccobono is taking his monthly message on the road. By chapter,
affiliate, or even region, submit a brief proposal to have the October
Presidential Release broadcasted live in your area. We will come to you!
Submit your pitch:

In addition to letting us know why it would be important to your chapter or
group for us to come to you, please be sure to include the following
logistical details.

.     Who - Who will be organizing the release? Will it be your chapter,
affiliate, group of chapters or affiliate divisions?

.     Where - Would the release be hosted at a community center, restaurant,
gym, or at a different sort of location?

.     What - What are some unique stories or reasons that set your group
apart from the rest?

Remember that this opportunity is available to all chapters and affiliates
no matter the size of the group or where you're located. Send in your
pitches to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/ctk273du645d/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=membership@n
fb.org> membership at nfb.org no later than Sunday, August 28. We will announce
the site on the September release.

News:

Center for Employment Opportunities:

Please join us on Friday, September 9, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, for the next
in our Where the Blind Work webinar series, highlighting blind workers in
blue-collar jobs in our upcoming segment. Remember that we are always
looking for a range of blind people working in all sorts of interesting jobs
and careers. If you have suggestions, please contact Maurice Peret,
coordinator of career mentoring and employment programs, at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/ctk273du645d/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=mperet@nfb.o
rg> mperet at nfb.org or at 410-659-9314, extension 2350.

Self-Employment Opportunities-From Getting Started to Securing the Funds:

The National Federation of the Blind works to bridge the gaps leading to
unemployment and underemployment among the nation's blind through our Center
for Employment Opportunities initiative. And this year, we were a founding
ambassador in the global launch of SmartJob, LLC. As part of that
partnership, we are excited to share the following August business
opportunities through Include, LLC. There are two upcoming learning tracks.
Track 1: From Idea to Business is a webinar series to focus on the process
of how to evaluate whether your idea is ready to become a business and how
to make it happen. Track 2: Raising Venture Capital is a one-on-one coaching
program regarding the process of fundraising. The registration and
application deadline is approaching. Learn more at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.includellc.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=
1&usg=AOvVaw0DQT6OGJzGHmkbp6wqQZvj> https://www.includellc.org/.

Mosen At Large Podcast Episode 191 with President Riccobono:

Hosted by Jonathan Mosen, Mosen At Large is the "global podcast that's got
the blind community talking."
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fmosen.org%2Fepisode-191-national
-federation-of-the-blind-president-mark-riccobono%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2
V-M81_JArchXuGnWRYXVv> Listen to the Mosen At Large episode that features
President Riccobono where they cover many topics from membership, advocacy,
and philosophy today.

Financial Reports:

Please remember it is the affiliate treasurer's responsibility to provide
the current year's financial report to the affiliate board and at the state
convention. Our affiliate finance team is sending financial reports for the
year ended 2021 as we complete 990 filings or as we enter your affiliate's
information into our system if your filing was a 990-N. Affiliate treasurers
should keep track of organization income and expenses and prepare 2022
reports as they are needed for reporting purposes. If you have any
questions, please contact Bridgid Burke at 410-659-9314, extension 2271, or
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/ctk273du645d/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=bburke@nfb.o
rg> bburke at nfb.org.

Accessibility of Federal Technology and Websites:

On Thursday, August 11, Senate Aging Committee Chairman Bob Casey
(Pennsylvania) sent a letter requesting a Government Accountability Office
investigation into the accessibility of federal technology, including
websites, for people with disabilities. Additional signatories on the letter
include Senators Patty Murray (Washington), Richard Burr (North Carolina),
Kirsten Gillibrand (New York), and Mike Braun (Indiana). We believe this
letter is in response to the recent hearing on this topic, at which Anil
Lewis testified in person. You can read
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fpolicy-statements%2Fanil-lewiss-testimony-senate-special-committee-
aging&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3flX-VMFMw1qJC9FvjJjYN> Anil's testimony on the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fpolicy-statements&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0EXlbeWMG6kvuG4KNGNuOl>
Policy Statements page of our website.

Federation Comments on the Findings for the 2022 Twenty-First Century
Communications and Video Accessibility Act Biennial Report:

On Monday, August 8, we submitted comments in response to the Federal
Communications Commission's (FCC) tentative findings for the 2022
Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act Biennial
Report to Congress. The
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fpolicy-statements%2Fnational-federation-blind-comments-tentative-fi
ndings&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0iV7UsSg8Cbw3Wx2RfkIFd> full text of our
comments to the FCC can be read on the Policy Statements page of our
website.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	August 31: Deadline for affiliates to request Action Fund Braille
calendars
*	September 1: Presidential Release
*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

president at nfbofillinois.org <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org>

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/>

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.s