[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of October 3

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Oct 4 10:27:17 UTC 2022

Critical Actions:

It's Blind Equality Achievement Month!:

Members of the National Federation of the Blind conduct activities in local
communities such as white cane walks, film screenings, and social events.
Please send a description of your affiliate- or chapter-related #BlindMonth
activities, including the white cane proclamations, to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/6x3cg2a49ohh/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=web@nfb.org>
web at nfb.org so they can be posted on the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblind-month&sa=D&sntz=
1&usg=AOvVaw257js1ofQzvwJmEk-A4Y4K> Blind Equality Achievement Month page.
There is also still time to encourage your local government to issue a White
Cane Awareness Day proclamation. Learn more at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwhitecane.day%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg
=AOvVaw3_c75YifvJSantHuJhNV-b> whitecane.day

News:

Nondiscrimination in Health Programs and Activities:

Last Thursday, the NFB submitted comments to the US Department of Health and
Human Services Office for Civil Rights regarding its notice of public
rulemaking (NPRM) for Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The
NPRM proposes to clarify and expand nondiscrimination requirements in
Section 1557 of the ACA and requested feedback specific to telehealth,
medical devices, and website and mobile app accessibility. I encourage you
to read our comments, as well as the other content on the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fpolicy-statements&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0EXlbeWMG6kvuG4KNGNuOl>
Policy Statements section of our website.

Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act, S. 4998/H.R. 9021:

On September 28, 2022, Senator Tammy Duckworth of Illinois introduced the
Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act in the Senate. There
are three original cosponsors for the bill: Senator Bob Casey of
Pennsylvania, Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii, and Senator Ed Markey of
Massachusetts. On the same day, Representative John Sarbanes of Maryland
introduced an identical bill in the House, which has been assigned bill
number H.R. 9021. Now that the bill is introduced in both chambers of
Congress, please contact your members in the House and Senate and ask them
to cosponsor the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act! For
more information, check out
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fabout-us%2Fpress-room%
2Fsenator-duckworth-and-representative-sarbanes-introduce-bill-make-websites
-and-software-accessible&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3U03NfXgsGHeCqoIltP0DO> our
press release.

2023 Washington Seminar:

The days are getting shorter, there's a chill in the air, and the leaves
have just begun to fall from the trees-that means our annual Washington
Seminar is just around the corner. For 2023, the Washington Seminar will be
back at the Holiday Inn Washington Capitol, located at 550 C Street, SW
Washington, DC. January will mark the start of the 118th Congress, and we
wanted to make sure we were one of the first groups new members met with.
That's why we scheduled next year's seminar from Monday, January 30, through
Thursday, February 2, 2023. Save those dates in your calendars now but stay
tuned over the next few weeks and months as we release more updates like
hotel reservation details, legislative issues, and training schedules.

You Can No Longer ShoutCAST It from the Rooftops:

Over the past few years, several affiliates have leveraged the software tool
the national office uses to stream our national convention. This
content-streaming platform has allowed affiliates to stream state
conventions, podcasts, and other types of audio content simply and
accessibly. Unfortunately, ShoutCAST has discontinued the audio-streaming
component of its business model and is no longer available for use. The
national office is evaluating inexpensive streaming options for
accessibility and usability but has yet to find a product that fully fits
the Federation's needs. We continue to assess various platforms and will
share news should we identify a suitable replacement. If your affiliate has
found a tool that meets your needs well, please let John Berggren (
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/6x3cg2a49ohh/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=jberggren@nf
b.org> jberggren at nfb.org) know what platform you are using.

Announcing Matching Gift Opportunity:

We are asking you all to socialize the information below regarding our
upcoming challenge grant from Vispero.

Challenging Expectations: A Partnership with Vispero:

We rely on the generosity of individual supporters and partner organizations
to help us transform dreams into reality for blind people. We are excited to
announce a generous challenge gift from Vispero to celebrate White Cane
Awareness Day. Every dollar contributed between October 15 and the end of
the year will be matched up to $50,000!

Double your contribution and help ensure that we fulfill this matching gift.

Three ways you can help:

*      Give online at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fdonate&sa=D&sntz=1&usg
=AOvVaw2Mb_Q2kc1vCeb8oxDaTLo8> nfb.org/donate

*      Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind,
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+212
30?entry=gmail&source=g> 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

*      Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314,
extension 2430

Office 365 Suite Accessibility Boutique:

October 4, 2:00-3:30 p.m., eastern, via Zoom

The National Federation of the Blind, in partnership with the Maryland
Department of Disabilities, invites you to attend the Office 365 Suite
Accessibility Boutique. Learn about the features of Microsoft's online
Office 365 Suite and its accessibility for blind and low-vision users. The
boutique will focus on Office 365's Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
applications.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Register for the October 4 Accessibility Boutique.

Career Fair-Fearless Job Interview Part 1:

October 6, 7:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom

In the first seminar of the National Federation of the Blind career fair
series, job seekers will be given information on job search strategies, an
overview on customizing their resumes and cover letters, keys to developing
effective interview communication, and an interactive segment on the tricky
prompt "tell me about yourself." No registration required.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3F%26reset%3D1%26id%3D522&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2ahBeF_xjvLo_oj-BA0Rk7>
Access Zoom details for Job Interview Part 1 on the Career Fair page.

Recent Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog Post:

September was National Guide Dog Month, and it helps lead us to October,
which is Blind Equality Achievement Month. Danielle McCann's retired guide
dog, Schultz, shares some of the experience with transitioning to
retirement. Read the blog post, "
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblog%2Fhanging-harness
&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3_1DnflCZoacILv7WnWhen> Hanging Up the Harness."

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	October 4:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Office 365 Suite Accessibility Boutique

*	October 6:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3F%26reset%3D1%26id%3D522&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2ahBeF_xjvLo_oj-BA0Rk7>
Career Fair Part 1
*	October 15:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwhitecane.day%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg
=AOvVaw3_c75YifvJSantHuJhNV-b> White Cane Awareness Day

*	October 21: Where the Blind Work Webinar
*	October 25:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Education Technology Accessibility Boutique
*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.