[IL-Talk] Chicago Accessible Vote by Mail Flier

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 16:41:06 UTC 2022

Hello all,

I have just received the Attached  Chicago Board of Elections Accessible
Vote by Mail Flier. It is in a pdf format and so I am having to attach it
rather than trying to copy it into the email as it will likely lose whatever
formatting that is available.

It will also be posted on the Chicago Board of Election's website and in
their social media and I will try to have it go on all of our platforms as
well as NFB Newsline. Please remember that absentee voting is one option. If
you wish to vote in person, you are free to elect that option. The passage
of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Help America Vote Act in the
early 2000s and the recent passage in Illinois' of SB 829 ensures that blind
voters will have the same ballot options as all other voters.

If you have    problems using AVBM or have any other voting issues with
early voting or election day at the ballot box, please contact the following
people:

Jordan Andrew - JAndrew at elections.il.gov <mailto:JAndrew at elections.il.gov>
(statewide)

Max Bever mbever at chicagoelections.gov <mailto:mbever at chicagoelections.gov>
(Chicago voters only)

If you live anywhere else, you can probably reach out to your election
authority but you should definitely reach out to the Illinois State Board of
Elections.

You should cc Bebe Novich at Bebe at equipforequality.org
<mailto:Bebe at equipforequality.org>

Equip for Equality is the Protection and Advocacy agency and part of their
charge is to make sure that people with disabilities are treated fairly and
equally at the ballot box. The only way Equip can assist is if issues are
reported.

Finally, I have taken the following on voting from President Riccobono's
notebook:

Blind Voter Survey:

Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that voters with
disabilities must be afforded an opportunity to vote privately and
independently that is equivalent to the opportunity afforded to voters
without disabilities. This requirement applies to both in-person voting and
voting by mail for the upcoming general election on November 8, 2022.

After exercising the fundamental right to vote, all blind and low-vision
voters are encouraged to complete our 2022 Blind and Low-Vision Voter
Experience Survey! The 2022 survey consists of two separate surveys: one
survey for those who voted in person at an early voting center or their
local polling place, and a second survey for blind and low-vision voters who
voted by mail. Both surveys can be accessed from our
<https://nfb.org/resources/voting-resources> Voting Resources webpage.