[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of October 17

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Thu Oct 20 10:05:57 UTC 2022

Upcoming Event: Information Session with Tonya Baña:

As part of our safety and support work, the National Federation of the Blind
Code of Conduct Feedback Committee has been gathering information for
improving the participant experience, socializing the code itself and
associated procedures, and any barriers to understanding the policies and
standards established for our community. There is an upcoming information
session on Sunday, October 23, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, with Tonya Baña, our
external investigator.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3Fid%3D537%26reset%3D1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1PyQUPUApVflvmFGqN8uQf> Zoom
and details are available on the nfb.org event page for the information
session.

News:

Blind Voter Survey:

Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that voters with
disabilities must be afforded an opportunity to vote privately and
independently that is equivalent to the opportunity afforded to voters
without disabilities. This requirement applies to both in-person voting and
voting by mail for the upcoming general election on November 8, 2022.

After exercising the fundamental right to vote, all blind and low-vision
voters are encouraged to complete our 2022 Blind and Low-Vision Voter
Experience Survey! The 2022 survey consists of two separate surveys: one
survey for those who voted in person at an early voting center or their
local polling place, and a second survey for blind and low-vision voters who
voted by mail. Both surveys can be accessed from our
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fvoting-res
ources&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3AVjQQT4u2CEZKXjffNuh1> Voting Resources
webpage.

Help Us Meet the Match: Vispero Is Matching Donations through December 31,
2022:

*       Give online at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fdonate&sa=D&sntz=1&usg
=AOvVaw2Mb_Q2kc1vCeb8oxDaTLo8> nfb.org/donate

*       Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind,
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+212
30?entry=gmail&source=g> 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

*       Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314,
extension 2430

*       Share this information with family and friends!

Thank you for contributing to our mission and helping blind people live the
lives they want.

Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (S. 4998/H.R. 9021):

Since the introduction of the Websites and Software Applications
Accessibility Act in both the House and the Senate, we have been copied on a
number of your emails urging members of Congress to cosponsor the bills.
This is fantastic, and really demonstrates the power we have when we all set
out to accomplish one goal. Please keep up this great work and continue to
email and call your members of Congress to urge them to cosponsor the
Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (S. 4998/H.R. 9021).

It's Still Blind Equality Achievement Month!:

Let’s keep engaging on social media using the hashtag #BlindMonth. Members
of the National Federation of the Blind are still conducting activities in
local communities such as white cane walks, film screenings, and social
events. If you still have events or have had one, please share a description
of your affiliate- or chapter-related #BlindMonth activities, including the
white cane proclamations, to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1owozb7kjhbz1/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=web@nfb.org
> web at nfb.org so they can be posted on the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblind-month&sa=D&sntz=
1&usg=AOvVaw257js1ofQzvwJmEk-A4Y4K> Blind Equality Achievement Month page.

Social Security Administration Announces 2023 Cost-of-Living Adjustment:

On Thursday, October 13, 2022, the Social Security Administration (SSA)
announced the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for the 2023 benefit amounts.
The increase for 2023 is 8.7 percent and will have the following impact on
benefit amounts beginning in January of next year:

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

2022 benefit: $841

2023 benefit: $914

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Average 2022 benefit: $1,364

Average 2023 benefit: $1,483

SSDI Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) Threshold for Blind People

2022: $2,260

2023: $2,460

NIH RADx COVID-19 At-Home-Test-Experience Survey:

The National Institutes of Health Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (NIH
RADx) has extended the closing date for its COVID-19 At-Home-Test-Experience
survey. If you haven’t already, please take time to complete this important
survey: https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bdqaz5GtByY4H1I

Where the Blind Work:

Join us on Friday, October 21, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, as we celebrate the
work and accomplishments of successfully employed blind professionals.
Register at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fem
ployment%2Fwhere-the-blind-work-webinars-registration&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw
2bLuhGBJLWvmllIMVc73kO>
https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-r
egistration.

Fearless Job Interview Part 2: the Dos and Don’ts of Business Communication,
October 13, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern. Join Zoom:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fzoom.us%2Fj%2F93698466990&sa=D&s
ntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2HePtKpuuGoRumeIl3EzjL> https://zoom.us/j/93698466990

Fall virtual career fair on Wednesday, October 26, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.,
eastern. The deadline to register is Friday, October 14, at noon, eastern.

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fform%2Fcareer-fair-job
seeker-registration&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3yCdkhKnpFOBGRUmEJmZOr>
Registration for Job Seekers

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fform%2Fcareer-fair-emp
loyer-registration&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw39Qtf8_iOQeOsnBt-9ZRTe>
Registration for Employers

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	October 21: Where the Blind Work Webinar
*	October 25:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Education Technology Accessibility Boutique
*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.