[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of September 5

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Thu Sep 8 14:55:51 UTC 2022

Critical Actions:

Mark Your Calendar for a Strategic Survey:

The National Federation of the Blind is working on our strategic planning
for the organization. An important survey to gather data will be launched
from September 19 through 25. This is a short window, but the data is
valuable to the process. We want to hear from you. Thank you for helping
with this process. Mark your calendar to be on the watch for the survey
during that time.

News:

September Presidential Release Recording Available:

<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw070-a89QjTh-TJrWS
JM5Zl> The Presidential Release #519 recording for chapters is available to
share with chapter presidents to use during their September chapter
meetings. Transcripts are also available. The next Presidential Release LIVE
will be October 1.

Nation's Blind Podcast Episode: Meet Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Winner Caroline
Karbowski:

The latest Nation's Blind Podcast episode features an interview with
Caroline Karbowski, who received one of the 2022 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards at
the national convention in New Orleans. She is the founder of See3D, which
provides all kinds of models created through 3D-printing technology, and
Caroline describes how she became a sighted Braille user.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fnations-blind-podcast&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2WUpuwuoF9EMv8xhW
KHX7m> Access and share the podcast audio or transcript.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on NFB.org:

As announced during the September Presidential Release, the National
Federation of the Blind has launched our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
webpage dedicated to sharing resources, presentations, and publications,
including our five-year diversity calendar that is meant to create awareness
for planning. Access this page at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Findex.php%2Fget-involv
ed%2Fdiversity-equity-inclusion&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3raBtKVL-N3hq4MqO5aCp0
> https://nfb.org/DEI.

The Latest Issue of Future Reflections:

Future Reflections is a magazine for parents and teachers of blind children
published by the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults in
partnership with the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, a
division of the National Federation of the Blind. Topics include learning
together, teachers as partners, and preparing for independence.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublica
tions%2Ffr%2Ffr41%2F2%2Ffr4102tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw047Zahe3WUSbvMz34
fECKt> Read and share the latest issue, Volume 41, Number 2.

Social Media Content to Share:

For social media from affiliate and division accounts, please consider using
content from the following pages to create posts:

*       For National Guide Dog Month,
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fguide-dog-
resources&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw21pBjNbNT4hFuHorUHSfpZ> share NAGDU and
other Guide Dog Resources.

*       For back-to-school content, share the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fblind-parents-essential-guide-effective-commun
ication&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2P78QvOkL45qwl2KfGkh4o> A Blind Parent's
Essential Guide to Effective Communication from Public and Private Schools
(English & Spanish) and
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fself-advocacy-higher-education-toolkit&sa=D&sn
tz=1&usg=AOvVaw3r-vRe86gg_FyiJ4Hx1mtR> Self-Advocacy in Higher Education
Toolkit.

*       For voting, share resources from
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fvote&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=A
OvVaw0QKutboralPEXR-nkNAm8n> https://nfb.org/vote.

Access Technology Affordability Act:

Congratulations to the National Federation of the Blind of Florida for
gaining two more cosponsors on the Access Technology Affordability Act in
the House (H.R. 431). On Friday, September 2, Representatives Darren Soto
(FL-9) and Kathy Castor (FL-14) signed on to cosponsor the bill.
Representative Seth Moulton (MA-6) also cosponsored on Friday. These three
additions bring the total number of cosponsors for the Access Technology
Affordability Act up to 163.

The Senate is back in Washington this week, and the House comes back next
week. Both of them will be in session for the remainder of September. Let's
use this opportunity to surge our cosponsor counts on all of our
legislation:

*       Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212)

*       Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R.
2373/S. 3238)

*       Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853)

Free COVID-19 Tests Update:

While the government program that has provided free standard COVID-19 tests
was suspended on September 2, USPS is still distributing the free, more
accessible COVID-19 at-home tests while supplies last.

You can place an order online or by calling 1-800-232-0233. Additional
information and updates are available at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcovidtests&sa=D&sntz=1
&usg=AOvVaw3tLxtnp49DlTw69T9HyPvf> https://nfb.org/covidtests.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

president at nfbofillinois.org <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org>

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/>

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.s