[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of September 19

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Sep 21 10:16:45 UTC 2022

Critical Actions:

Strategic Planning Survey Open this Week:

As mentioned in the
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublications
-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3Wan8Rn58W9AwXk_SoP
poe> September Presidential Release, the National Federation of the Blind is
working on our strategic planning for the organization. An important survey
to gather data was launched on September 19 and will be available through
25. This is a short window, but the data is valuable to the process. We want
to hear from you. Thank you for helping with this process. Please complete
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3F%26reset%3D1%26id%3D538&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0z_sFS8cWtlqOXZtbcaT2T> the
survey online or via phone now and share with members. Please note: We are
also interested in capturing feedback in this effort from members of the
Federation community who primarily engage in Spanish. To effectively focus
our outreach, we will be offering a Spanish version online and via phone the
week of September 26-October 2.

News:

Today, September 20, Is National Voter Registration Day:

Voting in any election is important because it provides blind and low-vision
citizens with the opportunity to voice their opinion about elected leaders
and policies and to help shape the future by electing candidates who share
their views. We encourage all blind people to
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fnational-center-nonvisual-election-3&sa=D
&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw177Yshe_KVeyjXNdtDFItW> participate in the American
democracy. To vote in elections, a blind or low-vision citizen must first
register with their state or district board of elections. Get #VoteReady!
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eac.gov%2Fvoters%2Fregister-
and-vote-in-your-state&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0oI3UhQoOSTQLPU0oNty2-> Learn
what is needed to register. Blind Equality Achievement Month idea: Host a
voter registration drive using the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fnational-center-nonvisual-election-3%23ex
perience&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1SgPUSDxOTked6M93oKhv2> National Federation
of the Blind Voter Registration Drive Guide (Word).

October Presidential Release LIVE!:

Brought to you live from the home of the Jackson Chapter of the NFB of
Mississippi, next month's Presidential Release LIVE will be Saturday,
October 1, 5:00 p.m., eastern. We will send out the Zoom link and
information as it gets a little closer.

Blind Equality Achievement Month: Send in Your Events:

Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments. Previously
known as Meet the Blind Month, the National Federation of the Blind
celebrates the organized blind movement during October. Chapters across the
country organize local outreach events. Submit your events, activities,
celebrations to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1wg8s8i1hejag/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=web@nfb.org
> web at nfb.org, so they can be posted on
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblind-month&sa=D&sntz=1&
usg=AOvVaw2_rR6SyVEs1jV_8lnBK8jn> nfb.org/blind-month. If you still need
items or ideas, check out
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fvi
ew%3Fid%3D2378%26reset%3D1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0cWssHlu326yPIt5QPEra3> the
free literature resources and White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation.

Save the Date: Where the Blind Work Webinar:

Join the National Federation of the Blind as we celebrate the work and
accomplishments of blind and low-vision people with a panel of successfully
employed professionals. Plan to attend the Where the Blind Work Webinar
scheduled for Friday, October 21, 2022, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. More details
coming soon on
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblind-month&sa=D&sntz=1&
usg=AOvVaw2_rR6SyVEs1jV_8lnBK8jn> nfb.org/blind-month.

October Career Fair Registration Open!:

Attention job seekers and employers: Please
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D522&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0tC64FrJ80V3l0xOPWvqHo>
register for the Blind Equality Achievement Month VIRTUAL Career Fair that
will be held October 26, 2022, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., eastern. When you
register, you will also receive information that will help you to prepare,
which includes the following:

*       Fearless Job Interview Part 1

o   October 6, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern

o   Duration: 1.5 hours

*       Fearless Job Interview Part 2

o   October 13, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern

o   Duration: 1.5 hours

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.