[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of April 11

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Apr 12 17:35:00 UTC 2023

Critical Actions: Deadline this Week for 2023 Bolotin Awards:
The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of
blind people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each
application must include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and
submit a nomination for the 2023 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards.

  Opportunity for First-Time National Convention Attendees:
The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship provides funding support
to National Federation of the Blind members who want to attend the
national convention in person for the first time. Applications close
April 15. Learn more about the Kenneth Jernigan Convention
Scholarship.

News: Presidential Release:
The National Federation of the Blind Presidential Release #526 chapter
version is available. Additional formats coming soon. Please mark your
calendars for the next Presidential Release scheduled for May 2, 2023,
at 8:00 p.m., eastern.

Route 66 Ride for Literacy with Dan O’Rourke:
As announced in the April Presidential Release, the National
Federation of the Blind is partnering with Dan O’Rourke, an on-ice
official for the National Hockey League since 1999, for a campaign
this summer. At the end of July, Dan will bike ride from Santa Monica,
California, to Chicago, Illinois, along the famous Route 66 to raise
awareness of our mission to raise expectations of blind people. This
is an opportunity for us to connect with more people across the
country—coordinating meet and greets along the ride. Sponsorship
opportunities are also available for partners. There are still lots of
details to coordinate and we will be sharing them all as they unfold.
Learn more at nfb.org/route66 and sign up for email updates.

  Growing Support for Our Legislative Priorities:
Last week we gained four new cosponsors across two of our bills in the
House of Representatives. First, the Medical Device Nonvisual
Accessibility Act added Representative Frank Mrvan (Indiana), bringing
the total number of cosponsors for that bill up to forty-three. Then,
the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act added
Representatives Chellie Pingree (Maine), Becca Balint (Vermont), and
Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick (Florida) to bring the total number of
cosponsors up to five. This is a strong showing in the early parts of
the 118th Congress, but we need to keep pressing to really show that
our priorities are important, so call or email your representatives
and ask them to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility
Act (H.R. 1328) and the Transformation to Competitive Integrated
Employment Act (H.R. 1263).

High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) Exam Experiences:
If you, or someone you know, has interacted with the PSI
testing-service provider while preparing for or taking the High School
Equivalency Test (HiSET) exam, the new alternative to the GED, we
encourage you to share your experience with us. Please email
legal at nfb.org if you have any experiences to share, including
interactions regarding both practice tests and testing materials.

Upcoming Event: Basics of PDF Remediation:
On Tuesday, April 25, the Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access
will present an Accessibility Boutique on creating accessible PDF
documents. Come learn strategies experts use to make digital documents
readable by screen readers! Register for the Basics of PDF Remediation
boutique today.

Where the Blind Work—Investigating the News with Blind Journalists:
Journalism involves interviewing, research, and sometimes extensive
travel, all of which could potentially present barriers to entry for
blind people given society’s low expectations. We are severely
underrepresented in the field, making our perspective even more
valuable. Some blind journalists have been immensely successful. Join
us on April 20, 8:00-9:15 p.m., eastern, to find out how. Registration
information is available on our website.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(all times eastern)

April 15: Deadline for Bolotin Award submissions
April 15: Deadline for Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
April 20: Where the Blind Work: Blind Journalists, 8:00 p.m.
April 25: Accessibility Boutique: Creating Accessible PDF Documents
May 10: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
June 1 and 4: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Member Engagement
and National Convention)
July 1-6: 2023 National Convention; Houston, Texas
August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind Equality
Achievement Month)
November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the Year Ahead)

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396
president at nfbofillinois.org
www.nfbofillinois.org
Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the
nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live
the lives they want.