[IL-Talk] Blind and Low Vision Students 12-18 wanted for summer research

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Apr 18 17:46:17 UTC 2023

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for
informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has
no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute
to our research mission.

Recruitment for BLV (Blind and Low-Vision) Teens
Hi all,
We are Dr. JooYoung Seo and Dr. Kyungwon Koh from the University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign School of Information Sciences. We are
conducting a research project on computational thinking skills for
blind and low-vision (BLV) teens, funded by the institute of Museum
and Library Services.
Are you looking for an exciting and meaningful way to spend your
summer? We are excited to announce a free three-day summer camp hosted
at the Champaign-Urbana [C-U] Community Fab Lab (1301 S. Goodwin Ave,
Champaign, IL 61801) on June 12, 13, & 14, 2023, from 9:30 to 12:30pm.
This camp is specially tailored for you, and it will be a great
opportunity to promote your computational thinking skills. Teens ages
12 through 18 years old who meet the U.S. legal definition of
blindness* are eligible to apply!
Participants will receive a free registration, 2-night hotel stay if
needed, working lunch, and accessible maker kits to take home after
the camp. Up to $100 will be offered to cover travel costs, if needed.
We will be asking the participants to participate in research
activities, such as interviews, surveys, and think-aloud. We will also
take photos/videos of the camp for research and dissemination
purposes, with your permission and by agreeing on the minor assent and
parent consent. The camp will be facilitated by experienced maker
professionals and accessibility-trained staff members, who will walk
you through three core activities in each session - coding,
electronics, and integrated prototyping. Each session will last for
three hours.
So, don't miss the opportunity to spend a summer learning and having
fun with us at the Fab Lab! Sign up now for the C-U Community Fab
Lab's free three-day summer camp.
If you would like to sign up or have ask any questions about this
summer camp, please email  Si Chen via email at sic3 at illinois.edu
We look forward to seeing you.
Sincerely,
Dr. JooYoung Seo
Assistant Professor, School of Information Sciences
Dr. Kyungwon Koh
Associate Professor, School of Information Sciences
Director, The C-U Community Fab Lab

*The U.S. legal definition of blindness indicates visual acuity of not
greater than 20/200 in the better eye with correction or a field not
subtending an angle greater than 20 degrees.