[IL-Talk] A program item suggestion

Robert Hansen hansen.robert70 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 10:01:50 UTC 2023

Good morning fellow federation people.

Recently in pretty frequently throughout my life I keep hearing the word
stick referring to the white cane. Last night I was going out of a place
that I go to every Sunday night and this woman who I'm assuming could be
almost 60 years old said I'm going to take that stick away from you. We
just turn the lights out and she kept bugging me about if I knew where I
was going. I responded I'm not worried about me you know I'm worried about
you people. And she said shut up I'm going to take that stick away from
you. And this woman is kind of been sort of derogatory towards me and real
patronizing. And you know we all hear it the word stick. I wonder if
there's ever been a Braille monitor article written about that. You know
this is not a stick it's a white cane. And I'm really sick and tired of
these sighted people calling it a stick. We should write up a public
announcement and make all the radio stations play it and all the TV
stations play it. This is not a stick! We should really have a program item
about that.

Robert Hansen
hansen.robert70 at gmail.com