[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of December 4

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Dec 6 15:31:27 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

Chairs for the Blind Survivors Group:

We are seeking members of the Federation who want to serve as a co-chair for
the National Federation of the Blind's Blind Survivors Group.
<https://forms.gle/J2BHPRjR9VMzE16F8> Applications will be open until
December 17, and appointments will be made in early 2024. Please share this
information with those who may be interested, as well as send
recommendations of qualified members to Marci Carpenter and Kathryn Webster
at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1ia0o165zbwad/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=survivors@n
fb.org> survivors at nfb.org.

As a refresher, the purpose of the NFB's Survivors Group is to create an
intentional space for blind survivors of sexual misconduct and other forms
of trauma and/or abuse, along with their allies, to share support and
resources, leveraging the positive philosophy of the Federation. Since 2021,
this group has served as a knowledge base and authentic voice for continuing
to inform safety and support efforts within the organized blind movement.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to Danielle Montour and Kathryn
Webster for serving as co-leads since 2021. As we transition to our new
co-leads, I'm confident Danielle and Kathryn will help make this a smooth
transition.

If interested in serving in this important capacity, please
<https://forms.gle/J2BHPRjR9VMzE16F8> complete the application by Sunday,
December 17, at 11:59 p.m., eastern. The direct URL is
<https://forms.gle/J2BHPRjR9VMzE16F8> https://forms.gle/J2BHPRjR9VMzE16F8 .

December Presidential Release Chapter Version Available:

The National Federation of the Blind
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw070-a89QjTh-TJrWS
JM5Zl> Presidential Release #533 chapter version is available. Please mark
your calendars for the January Presidential Release scheduled for January 4,
2024, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Zoom details coming soon. January 4 is also
World Braille Day!

News:

Scholarship Program Application Open:

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind college
students reach their educational and employment goals and so much more.
Building on its strong foundation, we have enhanced the awards
granted-making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful
for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000.
Students can now be encouraged to
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fscholarships.nfb.org%2F&sa=D&snt
z=1&usg=AOvVaw0ptIjXDrowoNm-ZAy5djFv> apply for the 2024 scholarship
program.

Independence Market Holiday Hours:

The Independence Market will be closed from Friday, December 22 through
Monday, December 25, 2023, and then again from Friday, December 29, 2023
through Monday, January 1, 2024.

Round-Up with Lyft:

Since this is the holiday season many of our friends and family will be
using Lyft. Please ask your friends to round up their fares to the nearest
dollar and donate their change from each Lyft ride to the National
Federation of the Blind. It is easy: Hit Menu, hit donate, and then choose
the National Federation of the Blind.

Catch Up on Content:

Highlights, news, and stories are available in the most recent Braille
Monitor, Nation's Blind Podcast, and Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog. The
following are National Federation of the Blind publications for you to
access and share with Federationists:

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublica
tions%2Fbm%2Fbm23%2Fbm2311%2Fbm2311tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0YUESLzhUNld
ocN0fFMK5Y> December Braille Monitor
*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fnations-blind-podcast&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2WUpuwuoF9EMv8xhW
KHX7m> Nation's Blind Podcast episode, "Braille Readers Are Leaders 2023/24
Is Here"
*	Blog article,
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblog%2Fonline-voting-b
lind-security-should-not-supercede-access&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2B4X3FHsrG0B
awUM8meeaA> Online Voting for the Blind: Security Should Not Supersede
Access

Washington Seminar:

2024 Washington Seminar Legislative Priorities:

We have chosen our three legislative priorities for the 2024 Washington
Seminar. In late January we will visit Capitol Hill to educate members of
Congress and advocate for legislation that will promote website
accessibility, increase home medical self-sufficiency, and increase work
incentives related to SSDI for blind Americans. The three legislative
priorities for the 2024 Washington Seminar are:

*        Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (H.R. 5813/S.
2984)

*        Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328)

*        Blind Americans Return to Work Act

Book Your Washington Seminar Hotel Room as Soon as Possible:

Rooms at the Holiday Inn Washington Capitol - National Mall are going quick!
Be sure to book yours as soon as you can. Hotel reservation information can
be found on our
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
Washington Seminar page. Also, don't forget to keep checking
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2FWashington-seminar&sa=
D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1JMEsaTKmpyLHbVz50NQ-3> nfb.org/Washington-seminar for
updates. Updates in the near future will be fact sheets for our three
legislative priorities, the full event agenda, and mock meeting videos.

2024 Congressional Reception:

One of our more recent Washington Seminar traditions will be back again for
2024. On Tuesday, January 30, from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. in the Cannon Caucus
Room (located in the Cannon House Office Building), we will be conducting
our annual Congressional Reception. There will be light refreshments and a
chance to hear members of Congress address a large group of our members. We
hope to see you there!

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the
Year Ahead)
*	Monday, January 29, 2024: Great Gathering-In
*	Tuesday, January 30, 2024: Congressional Reception (Washington
Seminar)
*	January 29 -February 1, 2024:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
Washington Seminar
*	April 15, 2024: Deadline for
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fsc
holarships-and-awards%2Fdr-jacob-bolotin-awards%2Fapplication-information&sa
=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw33OTCrsq2843D2Kf0s4SnV> Bolotin Award nominations
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement

*	Wednesday, February 7,8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, May 8, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, August 7, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 p.m.

Chapter Presidents Calls

*	Thursday, December 7, and Sunday, December 10, 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, March 14, and Sunday, March 17, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, June 13, and Sunday, June 16, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, September 12, and Sunday, September 15, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, December 19, and Sunday, December 22, at 8:00 p.m.

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.