[IL-Talk] Reminder: NFB Accessible CTA Bus Stop Sign Campaign

Kira O'Bradovich kobradov at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 15:39:07 UTC 2023

Greetings,

On behalf of the Chicago Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind,
we hope that if you have not already done so that you will join us in our
write-in campaign and spread the word to improve access to public transit
across the city of Chicago.

After receiving a grant to increase accessibility for CTA signage, the CTA
Advisory Committee decided to fund the creation and installation of new
signage at bus stops throughout the city, starting with several major
routes. You may have already noticed the addition of these signs and, if
able, may have noted that both large print and braille can be found on them
all. While this is a great step forward in marking the bus stops
themselves, the signs currently installed and those currently being planned
in the future include only the words “Bus Stop”.

The members of the Chicago Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind
believe that the signs are a missed opportunity toward accessibility. These
signs should provide additional information such as the bus number and
route direction, i.e., “49 Western, North”. Despite the advocacy from our
representative on the committee and public statements submitted by the
chapter, the CTA committee has continued to refrain from commenting or
considering a change to these signs, even after receiving a second grant
providing additional funding.

We are asking you to join our cause and email a public statement of support
to be read aloud at the January 2024 CTA Advisory Committee to Irma
Gomez-Fierro,
CTA Manager of ADA Compliance & Programs. These statements must be made
prior to the meeting, so we ask that your submit your statement no later
than January 1, 2024

In order to ensure we are keeping track of our efforts we also ask that you
copy or add the email for the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois,
Chicago Chapter Advocacy Committee Chair, Kira O’Bradovich. You will find
the email addresses, subject line for the email, and a public comment
template for you to easily personalize in this email following the
signature line.

We know there is truly strength in numbers and we thank you in advance for
your support in making this city more accessible for all.

If you have any questions please reach out to Kira O’Bradovich,
kobradov at gmail.com.

Sincerely,

The Members of the Chicago Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind
of Illinois

***Public Comment Template: Please read through to add your name &
organization (if applicable) and add any additional personal experience or
reasons why accessible bus stop signs are important to you or those you
know. Please note areas to personalize are underlined.

To: igomez-fierro at transitchicago.com, kobradov at gmail.com

Subject Line: Public Comment for the January 2024 ADA Advisory Committee
Meeting

[Your Name, Your Organization (if you have one)]

Public Comment before the Chicago Transit Authority ADA Advisory Committee
Meeting, January 2024

I am writing to express my concern regarding accessibility related
to the CTA's new Bus Stop Signs and strongly urge that the large print and
Braille bus stop signs list bus route numbers and direction, not simply
"Bus Stop." This is particularly important at "combo stops," that is,
locations where more than one route stops. Please note that the Americans
with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) require public
transit systems to indicate routes and destinations where more than one
route stops.

I look forward to learning how the CTA officials plan to address and remedy
these concerns.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]