[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of December 18

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Dec 19 18:33:48 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

2024 Washington Seminar Hotel Update:

The Holiday Inn Washington Capitol - National Mall, our host hotel for the
2024 Washington Seminar, is full on the night of Monday, January 29, 2024.
We are currently working to secure an overflow hotel. While we know this
will be an inconvenience for those of you who are still trying to make
reservations, we are excited that there will be so many of us in Washington
to advocate for our issues. We greatly appreciate everyone's participation.
Our government affairs group will be sure to send out an update as soon as
we know something. In the meantime, if you have any immediate questions,
please contact Kyle Walls at kwalls at nfb.org
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1rqn3bzfrmn27/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=kwalls@nfb.
org>  or 410-659-9314, extension 2223.

Independence Market Holiday Hours:

The Independence Market will be closed from Friday, December 22 through
Monday, December 25, 2023, and then again from Friday, December 29, 2023
through Monday, January 1, 2024.

January Presidential Release:

The National Federation of the Blind
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw070-a89QjTh-TJrWS
JM5Zl> Presidential Release #534 is scheduled for January 4, 2024, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. Zoom ID 943 1629 4822. Each presidential release live
includes a question and answer session. Please submit questions early to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1rqn3bzfrmn27/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=cdanielsen@
nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org.

News:

Access Technology Affordability Act:

The cold winter weather has brought with it a flurry of cosponsor activity
on the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702/S. 1467). In the
House, H.R. 3702 has gained twenty-eight new cosponsors since the beginning
of December to bring the total number of cosponsors up to seventy-two. In
the Senate, Senators Booker (NJ), Ernst (IA), and Tillis (NC), all added
their names to the cosponsors of S. 1467 to bring the total number of
cosponsors on the Senate bill up to seventeen. This is fantastic progress to
finish out the year. Even though the ATAA was not included in the National
Defense Authorization Act, we have to keep working in order to make sure we
give it the best possible chance of being included in a larger tax package
now scheduled for debate in January or February. Be sure to call or email
your representatives and senators to urge them to cosponsor the Access
Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702/S. 1467).

News and Opportunity for Community Services Division:
Our board of directors has initiated the reorganization of the National
Federation of the Blind Community Services Division. This division aims to
use and improve service as a means to show that blind people have the talent
and desire to better the world we live in by promoting equal access and
participation in related activities. Federation members who are interested
in participating in the consideration of a reorganized Community Services
Division should contact Barbara Manuel, president of the NFB of Alabama, at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1rqn3bzfrmn27/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=nfbal.presi
dent at gmail.com> nfbal.president at gmail.com.

Submit and Share Consumer Feedback Survey:

The National Federation of the Blind is working with one of the world's
largest consumer products companies to improve everyday shopping and product
experiences. This survey is designed to get the experience of blind and
low-vision consumers. Completing the survey will ensure your voice is
included and you will also be entered into a drawing for a chance to win one
of five $200 Amazon gift cards. Consumer Feedback Survey
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surveymonkey.com%2Fr%2F2VSPT
5N&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1_WFWrWEKvzQkDN5kuR1A0>

National Federation of the Blind Washington Seminar Career Fair:

Join us on Monday, January 29, from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m., eastern, for our
Washington Seminar in-person career fair. The National Federation of the
Blind career fairs are events for blind people seeking jobs to connect with
employers and are an opportunity for employers to seek more talent for their
teams. Registration is required by Friday, January 12, 2024.

Career Fair
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fform%2Fcareer-fair-job
seeker-registration&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3yCdkhKnpFOBGRUmEJmZOr> - Job
Seeker Registration

Career Fair
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fform%2Fcareer-fair-emp
loyer-registration&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw39Qtf8_iOQeOsnBt-9ZRTe> - Employer
Registration

To prepare job seekers, the Employment Committee will be hosting "Maximizing
Your In-person Career Fair Experience," an online seminar designed to
provide tips and techniques for creating the most positive experience while
attending the fair. Members will automatically be registered for the online
seminar once they have registered for the career fair. For more information
on the career fair or webinar, please contact Jennifer Wenzel, Employment
Committee chair and employer liaison, at jenwen319 at gmail.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1rqn3bzfrmn27/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=jenwen319@g
mail.com> , or Rachel Kuntz, jobseeker liaison, at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1x9qu3194t9sc/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=rkuntz@saav
i.us> rkuntz at saavi.us.

Five New Publications Available on NFB-NEWSLINER:

NFB-NEWSLINE recently added five new publications to our lineup:

State Newspapers:

Illinois, Chicago Defender - The Chicago Defender is a Chicago-based online
African American newspaper. It was founded in 1905 by Robert S. Abbott and
was once considered the "most important" newspaper of its kind.

New York, Post-Journal - The Post-Journal is a daily newspaper, serving the
area around Jamestown, New York.  It is owned by Ogden Newspapers Inc. and
is billed as "southwestern New York's leading newspaper" with a circulation
of over ten thousand newspapers.

International Newspaper:

Asahi Shimbun - Founded in 1879, it is also one of the oldest newspapers in
Japan and Asia and is considered a newspaper of record for Japan.

Breaking News Online:

19th news - Our goal is to empower women and LGBTQ+ people-particularly
those from underrepresented communities-with the information, resources, and
tools they need to be equal participants in our democracy. (from the paper's
website)

Magazine:

Inc - An American business magazine founded in 1979 and based in New York
City. The magazine publishes six issues per year, along with surrounding
online and social media content.

Consider Gifting Your IRA Distribution Directly to the Federation and Avoid
Taxes:

If you are in a position to do so, you may be able to avoid taxes on your
required minimum distribution from an IRA by giving directly to charity.
This is a great way to avoid taxes and give a little more to the Federation
and less to Uncle Sam for those who have retirement savings and must take
minimum distributions. For more information, contact outreach at nfb.org
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1rqn3bzfrmn27/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=outreach@nf
b.org> .

Where the Blind Work Webinar:

This January, join the National Federation of the Blind as we celebrate the
work and accomplishments of blind people with a panel discussion. This
online webinar will take place on Wednesday January 24, from 8:00-9:00 p.m.,
eastern, via Zoom. Unemployment and under-employment persist as among the
most stubborn factors affecting blind people's pursuit of cultural and
economic equity in society. Below are our panel participants:

*       Tracey Hall Hennigan, Braille Technician, Maryland

*       Ronza Othman, Director, EEO Compliance, Centers for Medicare &
Medicaid Services, US Department of Health and Human Services, Maryland

*       Christopher Kuczynski, General Counsel, US Access Board, Washington
DC

Register for the Where the Blind Work Webinar
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fem
ployment%2Fwhere-the-blind-work-webinars-registration&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw
2bLuhGBJLWvmllIMVc73kO>  for Zoom details. We look forward to your
participation!

Reminders:

Round-Up with Lyft:

Since this is the holiday season many of our friends and family will be
using Lyft. Please ask your friends to round up their fares to the nearest
dollar and donate their change from each Lyft ride to the National
Federation of the Blind. It is easy: Hit Menu, hit donate, and then choose
the National Federation of the Blind.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	Thursday, December 4, at 8:00 p.m.: Presidential Release
*	Monday, January 29, 2024: Great Gathering-In
*	Tuesday, January 30, 2024: Congressional Reception (Washington
Seminar)
*	January 29 -February 1, 2024: Washington Seminar
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
*	April 15, 2024: Deadline for Bolotin Award
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fsc
holarships-and-awards%2Fdr-jacob-bolotin-awards%2Fapplication-information&sa
=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw33OTCrsq2843D2Kf0s4SnV>  nominations
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.