[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of January 25

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Jan 25 15:40:20 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

Braille Calendar Deadline:

The closing date for Braille calendars will be January 31. Please make sure
to place your order by then.

Washington Seminar:

2023 Washington Seminar-NEXT WEEK!:

We are less than one week away from the Great Gathering-In and the official
start of the 2023 Washington Seminar, and I can't wait to have hundreds of
blind Americans advocating for our rights on Capitol Hill. But before you
get to Washington next week, make sure you prepare by visiting
nfb.org/Washington-Seminar to study the fact sheets for our three issues:
the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act, the Medical Device
Nonvisual Accessibility Act, and the Blind Americans Return to Work Act. The
fact sheets are available in four different and accessible formats: HTML,
Word, BRF, and audio. On the Washington Seminar page, you can also find the
full agenda for next week's activities, and two sample mock meeting videos
that might give you ideas on how to present our legislative priorities to
your members of Congress. And, as if all of that wasn't enough, we plan to
have brief descriptions of the US Capitol Complex and all six of the
Congressional Office Buildings up on the Washington Seminar page in the next
few days.

For those not able to attend in person, the Zoom ID is 942 8189 3953.

Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol Important Restaurant Update:

We recently learned that the Capitol Bistro, the full-table-service
restaurant at the Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol, has had to update their
hours. Because of this change, the Capitol Bistro will only be open from
6:30 a.m. to noon daily. The 21st Amendment Bar and Grill is still open in
the evenings but is a much smaller space. With this change in the main
restaurant's schedule in mind, we ask that you please plan accordingly when
it comes to late lunch or dinner meals.

Washington Seminar Career Fair:

Share this opportunity with members attending the upcoming Washington
Seminar who may be job seeking or employers looking for more talent. Our
next career fair is Monday, January 30, 2023, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.,
eastern, at the Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol. This will be an in-person
event. Walk-ins are welcome. Registration is now open.

Systemic Change, Sales, and Socializing: All Things Blind Students at
Washington Seminar:

The National Association of Blind Students has lots going on at this year's
Washington Seminar for students and supporters alike:

Whether you are in-person or virtual, come to the 2023 NABS Winter Seminar
on Monday, January 30, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScI7PJ9CmI0cc8onNwF3uggbMwI9gujDo9
XjhaY45pxS3WlmA/viewform?usp=send_form> Pre-register by Sunday, January 29,
or plan to register at the door to qualify for door prizes. While there is
no entrance fee, we will be collecting optional membership dues and selling
wristbands for the evening event. All are welcome.

Bid on our virtual auction items! You have between now and 11:45 p.m.,
eastern, on Wednesday, February 1, to log onto our auction site to place
your bids. Check out our astounding array of illustrious items, spanning
from the latest Apple products to themed baskets, by visiting our auction
site:

 <http://www.32auctions.com/2023blindstudents>
www.32auctions.com/2023blindstudents

Celebrate with us! We invite all Washington-Seminar-goers to join starting
at 8:30 p.m., after the Great Gathering-In, as we commemorate the
Federation's fiftieth year of advocacy, opportunity, security, and triumph
at Washington Seminar. Come on out to have light appetizers and drinks, see
old friends, enjoy live music, and support your national student division.
The entry fee is $5 with a chance to win a cash prize.

Direct any questions to NABS president, Trisha Kulkarni, at
<mailto:nabs.president at gmail.com> nabs.president at gmail.com.

News:

Contacting NFB's Legal Team:

Members are encouraged to use  <mailto:legal at nfb.org> legal at nfb.org when
reaching out to the national headquarters regarding legal matters. Please
help to share this easy-to-remember email address.

Braille Monitor in Spanish Now Available:

The National Federation of the Blind published the January issue of the
Braille Monitor in Spanish. A Spanish version of our flagship publication
will be available moving forward. Please share with Spanish-speakers you
know.

*
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm23/bm2301/es/bm2301tc-es.htm>
Braille Monitor - Spanish (enero de 2023)

*
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm23/bm2301/bm2301tc.htm>
Braille Monitor (January 2023)

The NFB DEI Calendar:

To help affiliate leaders plan meetings and events and to increase cultural
awareness throughout the Federation, we will soon be issuing our revised NFB
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Calendar. It lists holidays and
black-out dates (suggested times where it is recommended that affiliate
activities should subside at affiliate leaders' discretion). The goal for
this tool is to bring us all together in the spirit of inclusion and to
celebrate our diversity. It is our hope that the messaging and intent of
this instrument is received well and used effectively to help grow
membership, as well as to allow members to honor their holy days without
interruption.

Additionally, we are producing a training. We expect this training to be
ready soon and will send more information about the delivery as soon as it
is. The training will contain audio links that showcase religious experts
within the NFB network sharing information on how to use the DEI Calendar,
including the suggested black-out dates, the context of holidays, and how to
accommodate worshipers during NFB activities during a holiday.

For more information on NFB DEI efforts, check out the DEI webpage at
<http://www.nfb.org/dei> www.nfb.org/dei or contact Malcolm Greene at
mgreene at nfb.org <mailto:mgreene at nfb.org> .

NFB BELLR Academy:

Applications are now open for the 2023 NFB BELLR Academy. We are excited
that so many of your affiliates are planning to go back to in-person BELL
Academies for the 2023 summer, as the time spent around blind role models
and other blind children is invaluable for BELL students. If you are
planning an in-person BELL Academy we encourage you to work with your BELL
coordinator to finalize your dates and location as soon as possible. Your
BELL coordinator will then be able to input them into the NFB BELL Academy
dashboard, which will enable families to start registering for the BELL
Academy in your state.

This summer we will also be offering one session of the NFB BELL Academy
In-Home Edition from July 24 through August 11. Morning and evening classes
for beginner, intermediate, and advanced Braille students will be offered
via Zoom. More information and the application can be found at nfb.org/bell.

Upcoming Event: Learn about Advocating for Accessibility:

Join the National Federation of the Blind in partnership with the Maryland
Department of Disabilities for an Advocating for Accessibility Boutique on
Tuesday, January 31, 2023, from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., eastern. Many
products and services are made accessible through the efforts of their
users. Learn how to connect with companies to make products and services
accessible.  <https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg> Register
today for Advocating for Accessibility.

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement:

Share the following opportunity for non-members to attend the upcoming
Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, formerly known as our Open
House Gathering calls, scheduled for February 8 at 8:00 p.m., eastern, to
learn about what it means to become a member of the National Federation of
the Blind. During the one-hour-long open house, hear from active members and
leaders on the myths and uncertainties of the Federation. We will discuss
membership, philosophy, and purpose. Non-members can contact us at
<mailto:membership at nfb.org> membership at nfb.org, or call 410-659-9314,
extension 2401. If there is a need for additional support to access the
meeting such as Spanish translation or closed captioning, participants
should notify us no later than February 1.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	January 30: Great Gathering-In
*	February 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	March 2 and 5: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Scholarships)
*	March 23: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	May 10: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	June 1 and 4: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Member Engagement
and National Convention)
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas
*	August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind
Equality Achievement Month)
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the
Year Ahead)

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

president at nfbofillinois.org <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org>

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/>

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.s