[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of July 24

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Mon Jul 24 13:26:19 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

U.S. Access Board at Jernigan Institute:

The U.S. Access Board will hold a public town hall meeting on Tuesday, July
25, from 1:30-3:30 p.m., eastern, at the headquarters of the National
Federation of the Blind in Baltimore, Maryland. Attend in person or
virtually.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.access-board.gov%2Fnews%2F20
23%2F03%2F30%2Fu-s-access-board-to-hold-town-hall-meeting-in-baltimore%2F&sa
=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw12CVWE7Otm-JH0ElkCTsuV> Learn more about the upcoming
Access Board meeting.

News:

National Convention Highlights:

Thanks again to our members, sponsors, exhibitors, and everyone who made
#NFB23 a success. A post-convention survey is being sent out this week. We
are excited for your feedback. The convention highlights will be posted at
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fconvention&sa=D&sntz=1&u
sg=AOvVaw36u5TempAZcKws7r4z6676> nfb.org/convention by July 31. Access the
following highlights now available.

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fspeeches-a
nd-reports%2Fbanquet-speeches%2Fbelief-courage-and-wisdom-centering-blind-pe
oples&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1k6zml5nhNV785unVRkAoW> 2023 Banquet Address:
Belief, Courage, and Wisdom: Centering on the Blind People's Movement

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fspeeches-a
nd-reports%2Fpresidential-reports%2F2023-presidential-report&sa=D&sntz=1&usg
=AOvVaw2vzS3fG3iSG4Nbdfmv7skp> 2023 Presidential Report

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fspeeches-a
nd-reports%2Fresolutions%2F2023-resolutions&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3x_vJvW0tf
Gdh-YVQWpvEX> 2023 Resolutions

*     <https://www.youtube.com/@NationsBlind/streams> General Sessions and
Board of Directors Meeting on YouTube

Upcoming: Presidential Release:

The National Federation of the Blind
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw070-a89QjTh-TJrWS
JM5Zl> Presidential Release #529 is scheduled for Tuesday, August 1, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. Mark your calendar. Zoom details coming soon.

House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee Hearing on Autonomous Vehicles:

On Wednesday, July 26, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Innovation, Data, and Commerce will be conducting a
legislative hearing titled "Self-Driving Vehicle Legislative Framework:
Enhancing Safety, Improving Lives and Mobility, and Beating China." I was
asked to testify at this hearing regarding the impact of autonomous vehicles
on people with disabilities. The hearing begins at 10:30 a.m., eastern, and
will be in the Rayburn House Office Building in room 2322. It is open to the
public for in-person attendance, or you can watch it online via the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fenergycommerce.house.gov%2Fevent
s%2Finnovation-data-and-commerce-subcommittee-hearing-1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvV
aw0aQDBZmzei8pV1un6jsXDH> Energy and Commerce Committee website.

Route 66 Ride for Literacy with Dan O'Rourke:

The National Federation of the Blind is excited to partner with Dan O'Rourke
for a journey of strength, dedication, and connection. On July 27 from Santa
Monica, California, Dan will start his 2,700-mile bike ride on the famous
U.S. Route 66.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Froute66&sa=D&sntz=1&us
g=AOvVaw1h0rDbdkoPCJcvxIP1Y9OQ> Follow Dan and share the Ride for Literacy
with your friends and family.

Uber Town Hall/Listening Session:

As I mentioned in the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fu32452178.ct.sendgrid.net%2Fls%2
Fclick%3Fupn%3DmTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA
-2Bzxye9vRNGJ0NBYj-2FqT-2FL45JPC63-2B-2Bu1hAgAKCc9t5USw7Ov88-3DGAr0_-2FRWZng
b3c1ml-2BuKo9uafT-2F1OcrZ-2Bq55sKh8pJLha9Oi2pPYgHae80RuJomZBKMMOTRxk8vRoEjC8
gT99h67DSUE4pDNpYij1FOKE8jXtO4wZoirhBaJkgcq-2BosKWeKwNdXkOdMJsssUOMb6sTEqjsI
X25P20iU6ROhQp6Lqgvn7k5m23ZHWHoT3ujAEFp2XQ945Vtgvlcwn482G4IZqk3g-3D-3D&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw283Rbjet2KHqxYkzhaLVbA> 2023 Presidential Report, a
persistent problem we face is the denial by rideshare drivers who refuse to
transport us because of our guide dogs and, sometimes, even just because we
are blind people. The National Federation of the Blind has redoubled our
efforts to make progress, but there is still much work to do. Please join us
for a town hall listening session with Uber on Thursday, July 27, at 3:00
p.m., eastern. The Zoom information to access the meeting is:

<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fu32452178.ct.sendgrid.net%2Fls%2
Fclick%3Fupn%3DmTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA
-2Bzxye9vN59vFFYy5oAhkZzGAjypNvXmMiWneHOXdWvjC6JdZbs-3DVkEU_-2FRWZngb3c1ml-2
BuKo9uafT-2F1OcrZ-2Bq55sKh8pJLha9Oi2pPYgHae80RuJomZBKMMOWpSjHhIm-2BDLbPon0IS
SH1Z8z2NDHyhZZvWBZ-2FcEkIljtTIsG8V7AWyqv19huHvAHUAsdnDLHoIwriHxmcYsyVa2RodJp
vIzG72g-2FFzp9A4Pn1JkP1AYhI-2FePJvma6e7ZJBExmMlnA8BuGZsXEFoQpg-3D-3D&sa=D&sn
tz=1&usg=AOvVaw3HC6lL4vU1E1he4wxkNSON>
https://uber.zoom.us/j/99960753787?pwd=akwxTzBlQnNiak5FVmw2OHVQVytvdz09
Meeting ID: 999 6075 3787
Password: 743850
Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 564 217 2000 US

Thank You:

The NFB staff would like to give a heartfelt thank you to the hundreds of
volunteers who helped in the Independence Market this year at convention.
You all have once again allowed so many of our members and visitors to see
how we can bring an entire store to convention and make it run in an
efficient manner.

You certainly could have not given of your time and chosen to spend it doing
several other things at convention, but you gave of your time and talents to
help. Just know we are standing and applauding you all!!

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	July 25: U.S. Access Board Town Hall, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
*	July 27: Uber Town Hall Listening Session, 3:00 p.m.
*	August 1: Presidential Release Live, 8:00 p.m.
*	August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	August 31: Deadline to fulfill honor roll call pledges
*	September 1: Deadline to submit expense reimbursement requests for
convention travel
*	September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind
Equality Achievement Month)
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the
Year Ahead)

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

president at nfbofillinois.org <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org>

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/>

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.s