[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook ofr the week of June 12

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Jun 13 14:54:10 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

June Presidential Release Chapter Version Available:

The National Federation of the Blind Presidential Release #528 chapter
version is available. Additional formats are also available. Please
mark your calendars for the next Presidential Release scheduled for
August 1, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern.

News:

Legislative Update:

The House and the Senate are both in session this week and next week,
which makes the days leading up to our 2023 National Convention a
perfect time to call or email your representative and senators to urge
them to cosponsor two of our legislative priorities: the Access
Technology Affordability Act and the Medical Device Nonvisual
Accessibility Act. The Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702
in the House and S. 1467 in the Senate) is a $2,000 refundable tax
credit that can be used to purchase qualified access technology. The
Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328) authorizes the
FDA to establish a minimum nonvisual access standard for Class II and
Class III medical devices with digital interfaces so that blind people
can operate them safely and independently. The passage of these two
bills will significantly improve economic opportunities and
independence for blind Americans. Be sure to call or email your
elected officials in Congress and ask them to cosponsor the Access
Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702/S. 1467) and the Medical
Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328).

Where the Blind Work "Government Contracting”:

Join the National Federation of the Blind on Thursday, June 15, at
8:00 p.m., eastern, for a panel discussion featuring blind government
contract professionals. Where the Blind Work is a webinar series to
highlight employment options and experiences that inspire and inform
our community that blind and low-vision people are living the lives
they want. Register now for Where the Blind Work webinar.

Request for Information Regarding Automated Workplace Surveillance and
Screening Tools:

Has an automated screening tool deemed you ineligible for work based
on blindness? Do you have concerns about how your disability will be
assessed, tracked, or used by artificial intelligence at work? Then we
need your story! The federal government is asking for feedback
regarding how automated technologies have affected our ability to get
and keep our jobs. Responses will be used to inform new policy, share
relevant research data, and influence best practices. Responses are
due no later than Thursday, June 29, at 5:00 p.m., eastern. Comments
can be entered anonymously and all emails will be merged with the
official record. You can submit your response on the web or by email
at workersurveillance at ostp.eop.gov.

Click here for more information about the project.

NFB EQ for Teachers: A Nonvisual & Accessible Engineering Curriculum:

The National Federation of the Blind has always been an innovator when
it comes to education, technology, and access. We believe that STEM
learning should be accessible for all, including blind and low-vision
youth. As our world is evolving to become more and more digital, we
discovered a need to create a version of our popular NFB EQ curriculum
that is digitally accessible, free, and publicly available. In other
words, an online, Open Educational Resource (OER) that allows
educators to access the NFB EQ curriculum remotely—from anywhere. This
is a great resource to point teachers to when they get questions about
how to make STEM accessible.
https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-teachers

Smart Cities Seminar:

Join the National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in
Nonvisual Access on Wednesday, June 14, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern,
to learn about the work we have done in making cities accessible. We
will discuss indoor wayfinding apps, our work with the Maryland
Transit Administration, accessible public kiosks, and developments in
autonomous vehicles. Register today for this seminar to receive the
Zoom link.

Parent Leadership Program:

Give $20 and Aira Matching Gift:

Each year, thousands of Federation members contribute during national
convention to various funds that support blind people. In 2023, your
generosity is still needed to fund our great programs. When you give
$20 or more between May 1 and July 6, 3:00 p.m. central time, you will
be entered into the Give $20 Convention Drawing to win the following:

·       Round-trip transportation for two for the 2024 NFB National Convention

·       Hotel at the convention

·       Registration and banquet tickets for two

·       $1,000 in walking-around cash

This drawing will be to support the following funds:

·       Kenneth Jernigan Fund: Funds donated to the Kenneth Jernigan
Fund are designated by our board of directors for special projects
such as getting first-timers to our national convention. The fund is
named for Dr. Jernigan, whose contributions to our movement are
incalculable.

·       SUN Fund: These funds are being set aside in the event that
they are needed to support the Federation during difficult times.

·       White Cane Fund: These dollars go directly to the general
treasury of the Federation.

·       tenBroek Fund: These dollars go to the tenBroek Memorial Fund
that owns the property at 200 East Wells in Baltimore for the benefit
of blind people.

Each $20 donation is a chance to win! Your name will be placed in the
drawing for each increment of $20 you give. Give $100 and you will be
entered into the drawing five times.

Aira has generously issued a challenge grant. Aira will match up to
$25,000 during our Give $20 campaign.

You must specify a fund in order to be entered into the drawing. You
can do this by using our Give $20 online donation form or in the memo
if giving by check. Choose one of the following funds: Kenneth
Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund, White Cane Fund, or the tenBroek Fund. Your
contribution will be counted for the drawing regardless of which fund
you designate.

·       Give online now.

·       Give via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314,
extension 2430.

·       Send a check to National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. Be sure to have
#Give20 and the fund you are giving to in the memo. If you are not
sure, please choose the White Cane Fund as it affords the greatest
flexibility.

Note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for
contributions by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

The winner of the drawing will be announced July 6, 2023, at the
banquet. Help us share the Federation with others. Thank you for your
generosity.

Access and Share Our Publications:

The National Federation of the Blind creates and distributes several
publications. These materials inform both our membership and our
friends about the true nature of blindness, issues of interest to the
blind, NFB news and action items, and the many important stories we
share.

June Braille Monitor
Nation’s Blind Podcast
Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas
August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind Equality
Achievement Month)
November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the Year Ahead)

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396
president at nfbofillinois.org
www.nfbofillinois.org
Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the
nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live
the lives they want.