[IL-Talk] The Recent BRAL Contest

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:20:36 UTC 2023

Congratulations Bob.

-----Original Message-----
From: IL-Talk <il-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Robert Gardner via
IL-Talk
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2023 12:02 PM
To: 'NFB of Illinois Mailing List' <il-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Robert Gardner <rgardner4 at gmail.com>
Subject: [IL-Talk] The Recent BRAL Contest

The 2022-2023 BRAL (Braille Readers Are Leaders) contest ran from December 5
to January 23. It was sponsored by the NFB and the American Action Fund for
Blind Children and Adults. The contest was to see how many minutes you could
read during the 7 weeks of the contest, you competing with others across the
country in your category.

I was notified several days ago that I won 3rd place in the Intermediate
Adult category. That was a total surprise, I entering the contest without
any expectation of winning anything.

I liked the challenge of the contest, and maybe needed some kind of goal to
aim at. I set a goal of reading 2 hours a day, and managed to average 2
hours and 20 minutes each day, reading every day of the 50-day contest. That
included Christmas Eve, Christmas day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, etc.

The contest was certainly an incentive to read more Braille than usual, and
I think it had an end result of improving my Braille fluency. I would
encourage the Braille readers within the NFBI to enter this contest next
year.