[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of March 21

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Mar 22 14:08:29 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

Save the Date: April Presidential Release:

Mark your calendars for the next Presidential Release #526: Tuesday,
April 4, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Closed captions and Spanish
interpretations are available. Presidential Release Zoom ID: 948 2166
5754.

News:

Career Opportunities:

The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals
to join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of
interest including Braille production; diversity, equity, and
inclusion programs; digital communications; fiscal services; and
membership development. We encourage candidates seeking to join our
movement to submit a general interest cover letter and résumé to us
expressing the types of positions they are seeking. Learn more and
share the opportunities: https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities

Latest Podcast Episode: “Meet the Monarch”:

The National Federation of the Blind has teamed up with American
Printing House for the Blind and HumanWare to develop a device capable
of rendering multiple lines of Braille and tactile graphics on the
same tactile surface. Our Nation’s Blind Podcast hosts, Melissa and
Anil, spoke with Dr. Craig Meador, president of APH, to discuss the
display and its potential. Listen to the episode, “Meet the Monarch.”

Deadline Approaching for 2023 Bolotin Awards:

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of
blind people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each
application must include a letter of recommendation. Deadline to
submit nominations is April 15. Learn more and submit a nomination for
the 2023 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards.

Submit Nominations for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award:

The education of blind children is one of the National Federation of
the Blind's highest priorities. We are committed to offering and
supporting programs that enhance educational opportunities for this
group. Please help us recognize dedicated and innovative teachers who
provide quality education and meaningful experiences and opportunities
for their blind students. Nominate a teacher, counselor, or
administrator of programs for blind students. Deadline is May 1. Learn
more about the Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award.

Where the Blind Work—Investigating the News with Blind Journalists:

Journalism involves interviewing, research, and sometimes extensive
travel, all of which could potentially present barriers to entry for
blind people given society’s low expectations. We are severely
underrepresented in the field, making our perspective even more
valuable. Some blind journalists have been immensely successful. Join
us on April 20, 8:00-9:15 p.m., eastern, to find out how. Registration
information coming soon.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328):

In the last fourteen days, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility
Act has gained eight new cosponsors in the House: Mark DeSaulnier
(CA), Chris Pappas (NH), Debbie Dingell (MI), Bonnie Watson Coleman
(NJ), Paul Tonko (NY), Becca Balint (VT), Kathy Castor (FL), and Don
Bacon (NE). That brings the total number of cosponsors in the 118th
Congress to forty. This is a fantastic start and means that we are
already to about 60 percent of our cosponsor count from the last
Congress. This is all thanks to you and your advocacy; but while this
is a great start, it is still just the beginning. We need to keep
calling and emailing our representatives in the House to ask them to
cosponsor H.R. 1328, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

March 23: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
May 10: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
June 1 and 4: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Member Engagement
and National Convention)
July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas
August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind Equality
Achievement Month)
November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the Year Ahead)

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396
president at nfbofillinois.org
www.nfbofillinois.org
Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the
nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live
the lives they want.