[IL-Talk] FW: Celebrate Braille Readers Are Leaders

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 22:43:08 UTC 2024

Below is listed the winners in the 2023-24 Braille Readers Are Leaders contest, that co-sponsored by the American Action Fund and the NFB.

As you can see I won the Intermediate Adult Category. This required a commitment of time, the contest based on how many minutes you read during the 51 days of the contest. My average daily amount of reading was 2 hours and 45 minutes. I read every day, every Saturday and every Sunday, on Christmas Day and New Years Eve and New Year’s Day. No day was ever skipped.

I was disappointed to find out of the 24 winners listed over all the categories (that including children as well as adults) that I was the only winner listed from Illinois. I am a dedicated NFBer, and wish I’d done a better job of publicizing this event -- which after all is an NFB event. But I’m also disappointed the NFB itself doesn’t seem to do much to publicize this event either.

If we, the NFB,  truly believe Braille is important, we need to do more to transform those words into actions. And I hope to do more myself to make that a reality next year when this competition happens again. If nothing else, it certainly sharpens your Braille skills when you commit yourself not only to read every day, but also to read a respectable amount every day.

Bob Gardner

NFBI Braille Literacy Committee