[Jayhawk-Chapter] Pointers for tomorrow’s hearing on Senate bill 276

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 1 00:58:06 UTC 2022

Good evening in Kansas Federation family and friends,

First, thanks to everyone who submitted written testimonies advocating for the veil as well as to those who plan to testify tomorrow whether in person or remotely via Zoom. Some of you have sent me copies of your testimonies and I am truly impressed with how well they were written. Your testimonies contain very powerful stories both our problems and a positive results of line parenthood. As I said in the informational conference call yesterday afternoon, we need both the problem stories and the success stories.

In recent days you have gotten several emails from me giving guidelines and suggestions for your written testimonies. Now, it is time to focus on the oral testimonies that some of us will be giving tomorrow at the hearing.

• do not read your testimonies Word for Word. Committee members can do this for themselves, and some of them may consider it an insult to their intelligence.
• summarize your written testimony in two minutes or less. In fact, I have an email from the committee assistant informing me that Chairman Hilderbrand wants to limit oral presentations to two minutes due to the number of conferees who have submitted written testimonies.
• offer to answer questions at the end of your testimony. Although most of us will probably not be questioned, it is good to show that you are willing to engage in dialogue with the senators.
• lastly, don’t forget to thank the senators for taking the time to read and hear your testimony. Gratitude will always win your friends.

Good luck to everyone who will testify tomorrow. M meanwhile, be well and stay warm.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/legislative Director national Federation of the blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net