[Jayhawk-Chapter] Senateville 276, don’t forget to write your senator

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 15 20:46:58 UTC 2022

Good morning Kansas Federation family, friends, and allies,

I hope you enjoyed Super Bowl weekend and that your Valentine’s day went well.

The bill referenced in the subject line has cleared its first hurdle, and this is truly a cause of celebration. But now it is time for us to get back to work and finish the job we started. As I informed you last Friday, the bill unanimously passed the Senate public health and welfare committee with one amendment which moves the effective date of the veil up on the calendar in accordance with publication and the Kansas register which will happen after the governor signs the bill. But now we must make sure that the bill is considered and pass is the Senate before the turnaround deadline of February 24, The date by which the bill must move from the Senate to the House. To achieve this goal, we need you to send to e-letters; The first two Senate president Susan Wagle, and The second to the Senator in whose district you reside. As Senate President, Senator Wagle is the one who determines which bills are brought up for debate and vote in the Senate. Including today, we only have seven working days to get this done. Remember Monday of next week is a national holiday.

In writing your letter you may say something like this:

Dear Senator _,

I am a blind resident of Kansas who is requesting your yes vote on senate bill 276, our Blind parents rights bill. This important proposed legislation addresses a long-standing problem with blind parents losing the opportunity to raise their children in peace only because of their blindness or very limited eyesight. Without this package of guaranteed legal rights, blind parents will continue to face unwarranted obstacles and will continue to be denied the opportunity to raise and care for children in various situations such as adoptions, foster care placement, guardianship, and court cases involving child custody and visitation. Therefore, I call upon you and your colleagues to vote yes on the bill before February 24, after which time the bill must move to the House.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter of utmost importance to me.

Sincerely,
Name, address, city, county, state

Lastly, to find the email address and other contact information for your senator, simply log into the URL shown below.

https://ksleglookup.org/
If the hyperlink does not work, simply copy and paste it into your favorite web browser. Once logged into the website, you may start typing your address. This edit field is very interactive and should display your address with city and state from a pop-up list. Please do not hesitate to contact myself, Tom Page, or anyone of several leaders or members in the Kansas affiliate if you’re having trouble locating your state senator. M meanwhile, happy writing, and thank you for the hard work you have done thus far.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/legislative Director national Federation of the blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net