[Journalists] Evolution: Shifting from Print to Digital Media - Is It Creating More Jobs?

Everett Gavel everettg at successfuladaptations.com
Fri Nov 7 16:39:25 UTC 2008

Hello,

Regarding the news blurb below, I'm interested to hear
from newspaper employees.  Do you think it a positive
thing for journalists that are blind?  Does this
continuing evolution into the digital world bode well
for us?  What problems are you aware of that we need to
work on, to make sure we're more fully involved?  Are
the digital "solutions" newspapers are moving to,
accessible?  Does this evolution allow for more job
opportunities for the blind journalist?  Is this
happening in reality, or is it more theoretical thus
far?

Here's the blurb:

From: The Publishing Poynters Newsletter, November 15,
2008

7. THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR SHIFTS FROM PRINT TO
DIGITAL
The first newspaper with a national audience will shift
from a daily print
format to an online publication that is updated
continuously each day.
Circulation has dropped to 52,000 from a 1970 high of
220,000.  Read about
the changes scheduled for April.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1029/p25s01-usgn.html

Book publicist Stacey Miller comments: "Authors and
publishers who ignore
changes in the media do so at their own peril. It's not
particularly
enjoyable to watch newspapers' book review sections
shrink or disappear
altogether, and it's sad to see national and local
television (not to
mention radio) shows fizzle. And it's especially
difficult to watch
prestigious newspapers morph into something altogether
new ... but to deny
those changes, or to hope it won't affect any other
newspapers, is to
jeopardize book promotion campaigns and the possibility
of garnering as
much book publicity opportunities now as you did in the
"old days." See
http://www.bookpr.com/bookpromotionblog/2008/10/kieeping_up_with_changes_to_ke.html

Looking Forward to Your Feedback,
Everett