[Journalists] backpacks are unprofessional?

Gary ODonoghue gary.odonoghue at bbc.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 08:33:35 UTC 2009

Hi, Well I have been a BBC political correspondent for five years now
and a BBC reporter for 17 years - and I use a back pack everyday. Quite
frankly, given the amount of kit we have to carry around as blind people
- laptops, recording gear, braille displays etc etc etc - it's really
the only practical bag to use to leave your hands free to use a cane or
a dog and carry your morning coffee from the takeout. A number of other
reporters I work with (sighted reporters) also use back packs. So I'd
ignore the prof and do what's comfortable - your back will thank you in
the long run.

Gary O'Donoghue
BBC Political Correspondent
Tel: +44-207-9736057