[Journalists] How do blind journalists handle the Freedom ofInformation request process?

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at charter.net
Sat Feb 27 15:46:15 UTC 2010

Hi Darrell!

Good questions.

I've submited FOIA requests to many cities and to state agencies.

I don't worry about the accessibility as much as I am concerned that I am
given the information I need in a timely manner.
When submitting a request, be as specific as possible about what is needed,
such as titles of documents, exact dates when requesting minutes or
recordings from meetings, and so forth.

I've had few problems with accessibility,and in fact, I've never mentioned
that I am a blind person seeking this information.

Most Freedom of Information organizations provide sample request letters on
their web sites,and newspapers will often keep a sample letter on their
in-house web pages this insures we include everything, such as our contact
information.

Hope this helps.

Liz